Questions about transferring my primary fermenter during fermantation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boralyl

Reaction score
I brewed a batch at a friends house on Saturday afternoon and it's currently fermenting. It's my first high gravity beer and it has a really active fermentation...I had to use a blow off tube and it's bubbling non-stop. I'm heading home tomorrow morning and have a 2 hour drive. So I suppose I have a few questions.

1) What effect will the drive have on my beer in the car?
2) Suggestions for keeping the fermenter as stable as possible?
3) I'll have to put on the entire 3 piece airlock to transfer it and remove the blow off tube, what's the risk of the co2 popping my airlock off?

Like I said before it's extremely active, the SG was 1.074 and I used two starters and a yeast fuel pill in the last 10 mins of the boil.

Thanks in advance!

No worries. Just make sure the fermenter won't tip over. I don't see why you can't keep the blowoff on, unless youre afraid the blowoff container will tip over.

I guess my primary concern was any negative effects from moving the fermenter and having it swish around a bit during the drive. I suppose I could rig up something to keep the blow off container from tipping and spilling.

The yeast are already going crazy in there. There is also a blanket of CO2 from fermentation. While its probably not something you want to do with every beer, some bumping and bouncing isn't going to hurt it. Actually, its probably better to be moving it now than if you were to move it after fermenation had finished.

Back