Grain mill questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its a clone of the Corona mill. It *can* work, but will never give you the same crush as a roller mill. You'll have to futz with it to get a decent crush.

Yes, that is a "corona style" grain mill, like the corona, the victoria, porkhert, and other names.

It's quite popular, and was the first brewer's grain mill. In fact it's the style of mill the Charlie Papazain has been using for 30+ years of brewing and gets 87% efficiency with it.

I have a thread with tips and tricks for using them...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-ugly-junk-corona-mill-station-90849/

Its a clone of the Corona mill. It *can* work, but will never give you the same crush as a roller mill. You'll have to futz with it to get a decent crush.

Tell that to Charlie Papazian.....It may not give YOU the SAME crush....but it gets HIM 87% efficiency!

So if it's good enough for him? ;)

Revvy I saw your posting on the ugly one. I have been looking for some time now and this seems to good to be true. Thanks for the fast response!!! Grain mill will be add as soon as SWMBO goes to work!!! I will be hitting you up for how to get this sucker working just right!!! Thanks

Revvy, you and Charlie both have more patience than me when it comes to 'dialing things in' :)

I have been using one for a couple years now, it was a real headscratcher at first and almost got kicked to the curb. Fortunately I read Revvy's thread on them and Eureka! He had it figured out. A couple of washers later i was relaxin not worryin and makin homebrew. Thank you Revvy.

I've used a Corona mill for years, but my local big box supplier installed a roller mill in the store. Unfortunately it's out of adjustment and leaving a large percentage of the grain untouched.

So I've got the idea in my head to make my own roller mill out of a couple of 12 quart cook pots, with a 3/4" steel shaft run through them and filled with concrete, or rather anchoring cement. If I finish I'll post pics.

Oh Yeah, I also recommend conditioning the malt. Just a little spray bottle of water makes a big difference.

Back