beer/good bars in Boston

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhermetz

Reaction score
Every year, my group of buddies go on an annual hockey trip into the States to see the Toronto Maple Leafs play in a foreign arena. It's fun, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than $600 to watch here in Canada and it's a weekend with the guys getting absolutly hammered in the name of Hockey. This year we picked the the Boston Bruins for some original 6 glory on Dec. 10th

So... Last year I wasn't really into homebrewing... I was basically thinking about it in the back of my head. At this time I knew nothing about the differences between homebrew and commercial beer. Needless to say... I now know a hell of a lot more....So much so... this time when I bring beer back from the states I want to make sure it's not some cheap Rolling Rock BS etc etc...

Question #1:
If you could buy 4... 6 packs, what would they be?

Where is the best place to find them? In Canada we only have the Beer Store..nothing else...so shopping for beer in the states, to me, seems like it's all over the map...I mean Christ...you can get it in a Walmart... but is it good?

Question#2
For anyone who knows downtown Boston... Any good pubs with lots of Craft beer?... I figure if I'm going to introduce my buds to "real" beer I have the best chance to do it while they are on vacation. Preferably, we would want a Pub close to the Westin Waterfront hotel...10-30 min walk from there.

Boston Beer Works is a good Brew Pub. It's at 110 Canal St.

Bukowski's Tavern has a great beer selection. It's at 50 Dalton Street. Some people think it is ghetto and complain about the food. I don't mind it, and I don't think anyone could deny it is a good place for craft brew.

It was a few years ago now, but the last time I was in Boston I enjoyed the Rock Bottom Brew Pub. Good food and drink. I don't think it's any more than 2 miles from where you're staying.

Rock Bottom is real touristy, right in the middle of the theater district. It feels like a Fridays with beer.

Publick House is a T ride away on the C-line. Amazing beer bar.
As for a bottle shop Publick House Provisions is right next door. They are a little steep but have great hard to find stuff.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/publick-house-provisions-brookline

My favorite place is Penguin Pizza in Brigham Circle (Green line E train). It's a good pizza place with a great beer list. 40+ taps and hundreds of bottles.

Beer Works is right next to the Garden and is great for pre-game. It's a brew pub.

If you get there real early, Pizzeria Regina is amazing. It's very near the garden, in the North End. Their sausage, Bell peppers and mushroom pizza is my single favorite pizza.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/pizzeria-regina-boston-4

Bukowski's Tavern is my second favorite. If they have Pretty Things Jack D'or on tap... you must try it. It's a local american saison, big american hop character and lots of saisony spice. It is my favorite beer.

As for local brews to try

Fisherman's Pumpkin Stout - Nice roast character, very subtle spice, one of the only pumpkin beers I like.

Harpoon IPA - Local staple, not as hoppy as the west coasters (~50 IBU), but great floral hop character, closer to british style.

Pretty Things Jack D'or - Only sold in 22ozs or on draft... awesome

Allagash Tripel - not sold in 6 packs I don't think. Great tripel. If you like wit's, there's is great.

As for package stores (beer stores) most places in the neighborhoods near colleges have decent beer selection. I don't have a favorite place, because I never have a problem finding what I need. If you go out to Sunset Bar and Tap in Allston, there is a big package store right next to it.

christysinha said:
There are many good bars in Boston. Different people have different criteria for choosing a Bar. Some people want to go in those bars that provides large variety of drinks, while some people want to go in bars to enjoy its liveliness environment.

Zombie.

C4PNJ4ZZ said:
Publick House is a T ride away on the C-line. Amazing beer bar.
As for a bottle shop Publick House Provisions is right next door. They are a little steep but have great hard to find stuff.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/publick-house-provisions-brookline

My favorite place is Penguin Pizza in Brigham Circle (Green line E train). It's a good pizza place with a great beer list. 40+ taps and hundreds of bottles.

Publick House Provisions has been closed for about a year.

But I completely agree about Penguin!

Back