How long to soak zest in vodka?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chode720

Reaction score
I tried searching and couldn't find an answer....

I just found out that we are having a company picnic next month and I would like to brew something up for it. I don't have a lot of time to get it ready, but I can probably do a wheat beer, let it ferment for a couple weeks and then bottle and it should be ready in time.

I would like to add some orange at bottling and was going to soak the zest from 2 oranges in some vodka to add. How long do I need to soak the zest? 1 week? 2 weeks?

Thanks

Why not add the orange zest to the boil instead?

BTW, vodka isn't a very good sanitizer and may not completely arrest the bacteria on the orange...

I just did it the day I brewed and kept it in the vodka until I bottled.

I put bitter orange peel and coriander in the vodka for a Belgian Wit.

You could do that or you could do what I did. It is all by preference. If you put it in the boil you could get too much orange or coriander flavor. My way is easier to control the flavors, I think at least.

The beer got a 38 in a contest so it came out fine.

Exactly, its all about flavor control. I am adding honey at flameout, so I dont want to add the zest then and would like to be able to put the flavor in at bottling to judge flavor and how much i need....

Back