weihenstephen saflager w34/70

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockettbrews

Reaction score
has anyone used this yeast??? just wonder what temps to pitch the yeast and temps for fermation??? making a light german lager.

IMHO that's the best dry lager yeast. I like to pitch at 55 and ferment at 50 until its time for the d rest.

I used that in a pilsner that is currently lagering now. I pitched and fermented around 50 degrees. I will comment in a month when it's ready to drink

It's actually fairly clean even at higher temps ~65F, when I'm doing a "Real Lager" I pitch at 48 and let it rise to 53 as per the spec sheet.

im going to pitch around 65 and fermate around 50. then put it in a secondary a drop it down to 34 for a month. Then bottle.

That's really not the recommended way to pitch your yeast

I second this. I'd pitch at 45 and let rise to 48 or 50. Pitching at 65 will ensure a good start to fermentation even if you underpitch, but why not pitch the correct number of cells at the recommended temperature and give your beer the best chance to taste the way it should?

I have used W-34/70 many times and really like it. My practise is to pitch 1.5 million cells per ml per degree Plato (at least two packs) rehydrated as per manufacturer's instructions. I've fermented with this strain as low as 44, not that there was a good reason to do so except being curious about how low it would go. I'm tempted to say it's my favourite dry strain but...I've made some really nice beers with S-23 and S-189 as well.

osagedr said:
I second this. I'd pitch at 45 and let rise to 48 or 50. Pitching at 65 will ensure a good start to fermentation even if you underpitch, but why not pitch the correct number of cells at the recommended temperature and give your beer the best chance to taste the way it should?

I have used W-34/70 many times and really like it. My practise is to pitch 1.5 million cells per ml per degree Plato (at least two packs) rehydrated as per manufacturer's instructions. I've fermented with this strain as low as 44, not that there was a good reason to do so except being curious about how low it would go. I'm tempted to say it's my favourite dry strain but...I've made some really nice beers with S-23 and S-189 as well.

The S-189 is great too, but each time I've used it, it has been a slow starter. Did anyone else experience that?

Get it as low as possible with your normal chilling method and then put it in a temp controlled fridge/freezer for a couple of hours or overnight. If your sanitation is good you'll be fine pitching the next day even.

The S-189 is great too, but each time I've used it, it has been a slow starter. Did anyone else experience that?

My S-189 was slow out of the package, but when I split the yeast cake and split it into two batches, it took off very quickly. It's not a huge fan of cold temps as I recall--similar to S-23 in that regard.

I did an O'fest with that yeast last year. 10 gallons, used 4 packs, pitched at 43, let rise to 49, D'rest for 2 days and crash cooled to ~33 for 5 weeks.

Came out very nice and clean. Several of my homebrew club friends came to that O'fest party and were all very impressed with the beer (my first, and to date only, lager).

I was happy with it and would gladly use it again.

i actually have an O'fest fermating right now i used the O'fest slap pack. It is at 48 right now. doing that for 14 days then puttin it into a secondary and dropping down to 34 and then waiting to sept bottling it.

brockettbrews said:
after the lagering should i add more yeast before i bottle????

You'll get mixed answers, but if it's been lagering a month or less it's fine to bottle without adding more yeast.

brockettbrews said:
no im going to bottle it at the end of sept. so it will lager like 5 months. Then party like a german lol!!!

Then yes, add more yeast. That will be a damn tasty brew after 5 months lagering. Kudos to you my friend. I couldn't wait that long.

well i have a beer bottled and a german lager that im making on monday. Then probally a honey wheat. I probally cant either but we will see.

i actually did a mr. beer O'fest and forgot one in fridge it stayed in there about three months and it was a really good beer. The best mr beer i drank. Still have all the equipment, if i have to do small batches it works perfect. 2 gallon batches!!!

I'm concerned by references to number of days people ferment before lagering. You have to pay attention to your hydrometer, not your calendar. Once the beer gets to about 10 points above expected FG, raise the temp for d-rest and let it ferment out. This especially important if you (like many new-ish lager brewers) don't quite pitch enough yeast and need the temperature bump for your beer to finish off strong.

Adding some fresh yeast at bottling may not be necessary, but it is cheap, easy, and might prevent you from having an undercarbed batch, especially after a long lagering period.

i have one problem i forgot to take a hydrometer reading when i was done!!! i had it out but just forgot so that is why im going 14 days, sorry first all grain lol!!! Is that the thing you spin???? lol!!!

Back