Beer hand pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there!

This might be off-topic, but i couldn't find the real place to put this. I am looking for a beer hand pump, or what it is called. It's just a a tube going from the keg into a knob, so you can pump up beer wihtout oxygen or what it is.

It is used in a lot of movies, where people is throing a big party.

I would like to hear from you.

Cheers!

A hand pump pulls in atmospheric air and will oxidize your beer. It's ok for parties because the beer is drank quickly.

To have kegged beer which does not oxidize you need a CO2 setup. A simple search for kegging setup should show ya everything ya need to know.

Actually I'm 99% sure the OP is talking about a party tap for US Sanke kegs...

EDIT: Pre-build beer engines can be pretty expensive new and difficult to find used.

Actually I'm 99% sure the OP is talking about a party tap for US Sanke kegs...

EDIT: Pre-build beer engines can be pretty expensive new and difficult to find used.

Looking back at his post, I think you're right.

'Dane, the party pumps are pretty common over here. Usually when you rent a keg for a party they come with them.

dbo_party_pumps.jpg

I don't know where you can get them in denmark, but here's a link to order them.

http://www.beertaps.com/beertaps.html

Yep. I think the OP is thinking of this:
DS0021.jpg

which pumps air into the keg to create pressure to dispense it and will oxidize your beer. Fine if you're planning on emptying the whole keg in an evening.

What Revvy is referring to is something that works the other way around. The beer is pumped out of the keg to dispense. Air is still pulled into the keg and can lead to oxidation, but not as rapidly as with the other tap and this is often considered part of the character of cask ale which is served this way. There are ways with beer engines (so I've read, no experience with it myself) to connect the beer engine to a low pressure CO2 line so you don't get oxygen in the vessel.

You can get pump type taps like that online. I just did a search and found a ton of them. In the US, there's always a half dozen of them sitting on craigslist at any given time.

They won't work on a corny keg as the Sanke coupler is part of the body and can't be removed.

For a corny keg you would need to use the link Revvy posted above.

If you really want a Sanke party tap most liquor stores here in the US rent/sell them and they show up on craigslist here from time to time for really cheap.

Kegconnection also sells them here.

Back