I cant find my Irish moss! Damn it!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMama

Reaction score
Man, I just got the turkey fryer all set up and water boiling, only to find that every ingredient is present for my CCA EXCEPT THE IRISH MOSS!! I know that I bought some earlier, but damn it! My dumb ass forgot where I put it...

It can be added later correct?
Thanks
-Me

I mean as far as (boiling and cooling) then adding to the secondary?
-Me

Hell, Ill drink a cloudy beer! I dont care!

*Well, I still have an hour before they are needed... Ill keep looking*

No, it's too late after boiling. Just try clearing with other methods and it will be ok. maybe not quite as clear as it would have been, but still very drinkable.

I hear ya. I'm a little ticked at myself. Just brewed a lager I really want to be clear. Brew session went perfectly, and had a great start to the ferment. Then I realized I forgot the Irish moss. I thought the wort looked a little cloudy after cooling... Anyhoo... A cold crash with gelatin and/or isinglass should do the trick, though it's kinda like playing catch-up.

Seems like every time I am at the HBS I pick up a baggy of the stuff. I have lots of it around. Things is, even with a good brewday checklist, it never makes it into the kettle.

Seems like every time I am at the HBS I pick up a baggy of the stuff. I have lots of it around. Things is, even with a good brewday checklist, it never makes it into the kettle.

I have to write a reminder on my recipe in big letters or I forget it everytime. To the OP, just use the gelatin clearing method in secondary. Makes beautiful beer.

+1 for crash cooling and gelatin. I have done this few times that I forgot irish moss and the beer turned out cloudy enough for me to care. Works well.

I have to write a reminder on my recipe in big letters or I forget it everytime.

At least you dont forget to buy hops. I did that on my first 'my own recipe' run... my LHBS is 4 hours away (2 hours if there is no snow) and they where closed right after I left. Had to wait for my order of hops to arrive at my door to start that batch.

Back