Do you carpool ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kappclark

Reaction score
I have been carpooling for about a year with a nearby neighbor. Not only did the gas cost go down, but the Insurance !

How many folks carpool, and can someone help me make this into some kind of survey ?

I work from home. :D

I always bring the dog down to the basement office with me though. Does that count?

I used to carpool when I had a normal job.

It wouldn't work for me. I start work at a different time depending where I am going, and I only have to drive 7 miles to work, so its not worth it. Plus I'm a Volunteer Firefighter, so I like having a car to respond.

I work 32 miles away.

My neighbor across the street works my old job, but she's on a different schedule.

I play hookie a lot...using Comp Time, so depending, or having another person depend on me is not kosher. ;):D

Ride a bike to work year round. The few times I don't ride due to heavy snows I hitch a ride with my neighbors who both work in the same office. So only occasionally do I carpool. I much prefer getting out and cycling everyday. If cycling isn't your thing I think carpooling is an excellent way to commute.

Craig

I carpooled in high school. Never again. People are unreliable and have too many issues. With that said though, I don't mind taking the train and catching up with some reading. And I ride my motorcycle for all my travels- haven't touched my car since early April and probably won't touch it again until November, except maybe to take it around the block to keep it fresh.

I ride my moped every day that I can (weather and the like) the eight miles to work. 130 miles per gallon, my weekly commute costs less than four bucks.

My wife tries to carpool with a coworker, but there's never any fairness or equity. "I can't drive today" happens a lot, so SWMBO ends up using her gas.

SWMBO now is riding a 150 cc scooter 30 miles to Kalamazoo, and loves it.

Boy i wish i could carpool... i've got a 42 mile commute and the only saving grace is i can work from home a few days per week!

It would actually waste more gas for me to carpool.. nobody lives close enough.

I'm 25 miles from my office here in rural Vermont.

Thru ridesharing, cycling, and the use of public transporation. I manage to get behind the wheel 1-2x per week.:cool:
Figure with the price of gas it costs me 8.00 roundtrip when I drive to the office.

No carpooling for me, I have a 150KM round trip when I go to the office. Fortunately that is only twice per week. If I get a new job I'm hoping to be within cycling range.

My wife tries to carpool with a coworker, but there's never any fairness or equity. "I can't drive today" happens a lot, so SWMBO ends up using her gas.

SWMBO now is riding a 150 cc scooter 30 miles to Kalamazoo, and loves it.

Ha I'd be like .......well I guess we are both SOL then and leave that person.

Can't drive today......what a load..

I work from home, so no commute. When I was younger, I had a job where I could have car-pooled, but I cannot stand to be late, and the guy I was driving with was ALWAYS late. Carpoolling never worked for me.

I carpooled for about a year when I lived in Southern California. Two big problems: the other guy smoked constantly and drove 55 mph in the carpool lane. People would be whipping by at 70-75 in the fast lane and we were in constant danger of getting rear-ended.

The weird part? In California you can get a ticket for holding up traffic in the left lane REGARDLESS of how fast you are speeding. Doesn't apply in carpool lanes. Makes getting into & out of the lanes an adventure.

I don't carpool because I first go to school(my long trip) and then work is on the way home. Plus I get frustrated with other people's driving.

I used to carpool with a coworker, but then we both had kids and our schedules became too variable to make it work out.

I've since discovered that driving to and from work everyday is some of the only "alone" time I ever get. I don't want to give that up.

WOW - what a response so far ... would be interested in hearing more ...

YES- it is a PITA since you have to get into the groove of someone else's schedule, and I am frustrated if the other person is late. (of course, I am *never* late !)

Fortunately, we communicate well in advance about what is coming up, so no ambushes with schedule changes ..

and she doesn't smoke either ! I figure we are saving good $$ by changing behavior..not much public transit here in the hinterland.

DSL circuit coming soon, so tele-commuting via VPN will become a regular event.

Can one of the moderators make this into a poll ?

I would love to carpool, but I only work with two other guys that ahve the same shift as me. One lives 18 miles away and the other 15. I am thinking about buying a motorcycle so my gas costs go down. SWMBO and I both work at the same location and ride together when our schedules coincide, but that's only once or twice per month. We are hoping to move within cycling distance to work when he kids are out of school.

I ride my bike during the summer- bad mileage is 39mpg good is 55.

But during the winter I have no choice- Gotta drive the Silverado.

Glib:

ADSL - we wld be too far from the CO for DSL, obviously, and fiber will kill DSL (all these LETTERS!)

But, I am told that the end of Sep we will have DSL... verizon has brought a leg of fiber up from west townshend, and now Fairpoint is installing the SLC (Slick) near Burpee pond.

I pass the backhoe every morning ... the 21st century in Windham !

Back