Wrong yeast...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cartman98

Reaction score
So here's the problem, my buddy wanted a Chocolate coffee stout, he gets the ingredients and we brew it up tonight. Well because he was in a hurry...he grabbed my 5 gram packet of Montrachet (wine) yeast for my next batch of Apfelwein (bastard!) and dumped that in. Not seeing what he did after he took off I was putting everything away and found his 11 grams of Nottingham and knew exactly what happened.
So the question is, do I pitch in the Nottingham as well? Leave it alone? Beat him for ruining my plans for more Apfelwein?

I think you'll get an interesting beer. It might be very dry and it probably won't have any esters associated with saccharomyces cerevisiae but it will be good beer.

I don't know a definite answer - thanks a lot right :rolleyes: If it were me, I'd pitch the nottingham too. However, I think it would be great if you let it ferment with the wine yeast as an experiment- I've wondered what it'd be like to do this, beside being dry of course. BTW, he did it - its his mess. ;)

I listened to a Basic Brewing Radio podcast recently which discussed a brewery that is intentionally using wine yeasts and getting good and interesting results. The outcome was not discussed in detail and I don't remember the name of the brewery. Still, you should take comfort that you may have a unique and tasty beer on the way. Let us know how it goes!

Wow a wine yeast in beer sounds interesting. I was making a honey brown ale and botched the starter. I used a european ale yeast instead.

I used a wine yeast in a blackberry wheat beer. It was pretty uninteresting as far as yeast flavor goes (good wheat flavor and calarified crystal clear though). I'd pitch the Nottingham

I doubt that the Nottingham is going to do much for you at this point. Montrachet has a much higher attenuation. IMHO you would just be wasting the Nottingham. BTW you can make apfelwein with Nottingham. RDWHAHB

Leave it alone. The wine yeast might have a slightly lower attenuation, because it wasn't selected for processing the more complex malts, but the flavor won't change.

If you are not happy with the final gravity, then pitch the Nottingham.

Back