American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have this fermenting @ 66 degrees right now. It smells freaking crazy!. It totally cleared my sinuses when I smelt the airlock! :) I missed target gravity though. All grain version came out to 1.052

Skeezer: my buddy brewed this last night and was really disappointed to find out the extract recipe yielded a 1.050 wort at 5 gallon volume. Following your recipe on the OP how does that calculate to 1.065? Here is what I am getting even when I crank the efficiency up to 99%.

Wouldn't your boil/batch size effect your OG as well? If you want to do a 6 gallon batch you might need to scale ingredients accordingly

Wouldn't your boil/batch size effect your OG as well? If you want to do a 6 gallon batch you might need to scale ingredients accordingly

It would, but in the case of the question asked, they didn't pay attention and interchanged liquid and dry malt extract.. They don't work like that.

So I just keged my 3 gal batch up . I just threw my dry hops in no bag and then a week later I cold crashed . What kind of clarity are you all getting ?

coinhall09 said:
So I just keged my 3 gal batch up . I just threw my dry hops in no bag and then a week later I cold crashed . What kind of clarity are you all getting ?

Haha! Not much clarity here.

fosaisu said:
Looks like you used LME interchangeably with DME. The dry extract is more concentrated so if you go liquid you need to use more (I generally multiply the DME weight by 1.25 if swapping in LME).

Nope, followed the recipe exactly and used the DME. Put the OP extract recipe in your software and tell me what you get. It does not equal 1.065 at 5 gallon batch like it says it should.

drawdy10 said:
Nope, followed the recipe exactly and used the DME. Put the OP extract recipe in your software and tell me what you get. It does not equal 1.065 at 5 gallon batch like it says it should.

Well the screenshot you posted above shows that you entered 6 lbs LME in your brewing software ...

drawdy10 said:

What does it equal at 5 gallons? You have a 6 gallon batch entered in your screenshot.

Also you have to be sure you're mashing the grains (not just steeping them), as this is a PM recipe. At least some of these grains (e.g. Munich) must be mashed and won't do much good if they're just steeped, which would cost you some gravity points (though if you set your efficiency to 99% in the software as you describe, maybe that wouldn't be a factor).

[EDIT] I threw the PM #s from the first page into the TastyBrew.com calculator (with a 6 gallon boil for 5 gallon batch, 6lbs DME, and the remaining grains set to mash) and got an OG of 1.067.

Thanks for the help guys! Sorry I'm a dufus and didn't enter the right values on the software for the extract. Updated with DME this time for the screenshot. K now I am not sure why this only yielded in the 50's for my buddy that brewed it. Will need to ask more questions. Thanks again for the help! Cheers

image-1682205882.jpg

Thanks for the help guys! Sorry I'm a dufus and didn't enter the right values on the software for the extract. Updated with DME this time for the screenshot. K now I am not sure why this only yielded in the 50's for my buddy that brewed it. Will need to ask more questions. Thanks again for the help! Cheers

Just a guess since I don't know what volume your friend ended up with (maybe he was using 5 gallons worth of extract in a 5.5 or 6 gallon brew?), but if he steeped the grains instead of mashing them that could have cost him some gravity points. I don't know how inefficient steeping is vs. mashing, but according to tastybrew the grains account for 10+ points of gravity when properly mashed.

Also, if he did a partial boil and then topped off with a couple gallons water, it's relatively common to get a low OG reading if the water isn't mixed in really, really well. Just another possibility (which would be a nice outcome for your friend since it would mean his OG was closer to the recipe than he thinks).

Yeah thats what I was thinking too but he mashed them at 154-156 for 45 minutes then finished with 5 gallons total volume so I am stumped here.

Brewed this 1 month ago, and kegged it after 2 weeks. Initially it stunk & tasted like Body Odor/Sweat, I think it has something to do with 2012 Citra which I used for the first time. My previous Citra beers have not had this. Luckily 2 weeks later and that has almost disipated.

Nice recipe, but almost a bit too cloying to drink more than a pint or two. Mine finished at 1.016, so perhaps it would be better a bit lower.

Thanks OP!

Brewed this 1 month ago, and kegged it after 2 weeks. Initially it stunk & tasted like Body Odor/Sweat, I think it has something to do with 2012 Citra which I used for the first time. My previous Citra beers have not had this. Luckily 2 weeks later and that has almost disipated.

Nice recipe, but almost a bit too cloying to drink more than a pint or two. Mine finished at 1.016, so perhaps it would be better a bit lower.

Thanks OP!

I just kegged an all Citra IPA which was based off this recipe. The pour smelled and tasted just as you described. I was also thinking it had to do with the age of the hops. Glad to see there is hope this will get better with age. It's the third time I've brewed it and the previous two were outstanding.

3 weeks bottled just drinking one now. Very impressive. I think it's go extra we'll with some resins bitterness behind it. Maybe some simcoe or Columbus.
I've never had Zombie Dust it's not available in NZ. I just think it needs something extra. It probably needs to be drier so US-05 when I do it again.

Thanks so much. Excellent results for me. I've never had the original, but this is the best beer I've brewed yet in my 20ish all grain batches.

I brewed this and let it bottle condition for 13 days before I tried it. It was still a little syrupy and a bit under-carbonated. I let it sit for another full week and what a difference. 20 days in the bottle and it was perfect.
The recipe is really good; haven't had the real ZD, but this is a kick ass brew.

I only have 5 oz of citra. Is there any good subs. I would think dryhop with citra would be for sure.

This beer is all about the Citra, so I'd say just choose another recipe until you can get your hands on more.

I only have 5 oz of citra. Is there any good subs. I would think dryhop with citra would be for sure.

Use something else to bitter. IMO, bittering with Citra was the mistake with my latest batch. First time I have ever got that cat pee smell from this beer.

It's all about the citra hops and the quality of the hops really really makes a difference. Our club had a zombie dust cloning competition and everyone used this recipe. The only variable was that people had different sources of ingredients. Out if the four beers that were entered there were two of then that scored higher in the 70s out of 100 for accuracy to the real beer and the other two scored in the 50s. It was very interesting to find out that the two beers that scored higher used pellet hops from hop union and the two that scored lower used whole/ leaf hops from hop union. So there are some hop sourcing questions that arise here (age, storage, etc) (but we are assuming they were all 2012 crop just different packaging) but it's obvious that the pellet ones were of higher quality with more flavor and aroma characteristics that you expect from citra. Now this really leads me to believe the impact that the packaging type has on the shelf life of the hops. I was never a believer and almost thought that pellet hops were inferior and I prefered the ease of separation from the wort that the leaves give. But in conclusion I will be seeking out pellets going forward unless I know that the leaf hops I am buying are fresh.

Why don't hop manufacturers out more information about packaging date/crop year on the hop packages?

This stuff is a hit everyone loves it. Mine came out extremely dark though. It's almost black

Brewed this a couple months ago and served it at a party last night. It smelled and tasted delicious! It got rave reviews from people. The citra is outstanding I'm this brew. Keg went dry at the party. Good thing I made a double batch and have a spare to tap!

Thanks for providing this recipe OP. I hope someday I get to try the original. No distribution in the Northwest :-(

Here's the sign I made over the tap:

ForumRunner_20131006_193013.jpg

I had been looking forward to this one for months. I finally got the equipment to switch from extract to all grain so this weekend was finally time to do it. Unfortunately, it was a disaster and didn't turn out as intended. In the end, I discovered that my cheapo budget thermometer appears to be horribly inaccurate by about 15 degrees so my mash was almost certainly NOT 152F and was probably closer to 136-140F. Pre-boil gravity was a measly 1.030. Post-boil was 1.048 but only after I did an extended boil because I decided the batch was already lost so why not try to get a usable gravity out of it.

It smells ridiculously good right now but it most certainly is not a Zombie Dust clone. I've ordered two new thermometers and intend to call do-over on this recipe in another week or two. I hadn't noticed this problem before because I was brewing using extract and really didn't use the thermometer much. :mad:

Nargan said:
I had been looking forward to this one for months. I finally got the equipment to switch from extract to all grain so this weekend was finally time to do it. Unfortunately, it was a disaster and didn't turn out as intended. In the end, I discovered that my cheapo budget thermometer appears to be horribly inaccurate by about 15 degrees so my mash was almost certainly NOT 152F and was probably closer to 136-140F. Pre-boil gravity was a measly 1.030. Post-boil was 1.048 but only after I did an extended boil because I decided the batch was already lost so why not try to get a usable gravity out of it. It smells ridiculously good right now but it most certainly is not a Zombie Dust clone. I've ordered two new thermometers and intend to call do-over on this recipe in another week or two. I hadn't noticed this problem before because I was brewing using extract and really didn't use the thermometer much. :mad:

Sorry to hear. I've never met a thermometer I've trusted. Well, until I bought a thermapen. I occasionally use that for double checking temps. The long stem bimetallic seem the most inaccurate, and forget about that floating thermometer. Also beware of the so called laboratory thermometers, which can get a portion of the red fluid separated from the rest of the column.

TD

I had been looking forward to this one for months. I finally got the equipment to switch from extract to all grain so this weekend was finally time to do it. Unfortunately, it was a disaster and didn't turn out as intended. In the end, I discovered that my cheapo budget thermometer appears to be horribly inaccurate by about 15 degrees so my mash was almost certainly NOT 152F and was probably closer to 136-140F. Pre-boil gravity was a measly 1.030. Post-boil was 1.048 but only after I did an extended boil because I decided the batch was already lost so why not try to get a usable gravity out of it.

It smells ridiculously good right now but it most certainly is not a Zombie Dust clone. I've ordered two new thermometers and intend to call do-over on this recipe in another week or two. I hadn't noticed this problem before because I was brewing using extract and really didn't use the thermometer much. :mad:

Rule #1 about all grain (mine abyhow) is to keep DME on hand at all times.

I have brewed this with 1968, 002 and s-04. All have turned out great. I think I like s-04 the best and 002 the least. (I'm drinking the s-04 now). My opinion is biased though. I LOVE citra! If for any reason you have a doubt just take a chance and a brew the OP, you will not regret it if you like this style.

Next up is Conan, I'm sure that will top them all!

I brewed this once before and had so much hop gunk in my keg that it clogged everything up. To prevent this, is it OK if I:

1. Hop during the boil in a paint strainer bag.
2. Filter runnings into my carboy with another paint strainer bag
3. Dry hop in a paint strainer bag with a couple stainless steel bolts.

Is there any downside to my plan?

Flipadelphia said:
I brewed this once before and had so much hop gunk in my keg that it clogged everything up. To prevent this, is it OK if I: 1. Hop during the boil in a paint strainer bag. 2. Filter runnings into my carboy with another paint strainer bag 3. Dry hop in a paint strainer bag with a couple stainless steel bolts. Is there any downside to my plan?
I use paint strainer bags every time I hop any beer. Do you dry hop in a carboy? I would recommend doing it in the keg if you are using a bag, pulling a bag of hops out of a carboy is a PITA.

Just mashed in @ 151-152. Upped the batch to 6 gallons to account for trub and my seemingly random boil rates.

Cool, I'll be over in a few weeks to try one (says the guys from Cincinnati also).

Haha, come over to try one! I live in Milford.

I hit my numbers pretty well...1.068..pitched a huge starter of Wyeast 1968 and she's in the fridge @ 65 degrees. Can't wait for this one to be done.

Back