First lager, some questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgstiffler

Reaction score
Going to be doing my first lager this weekend and have a couple questions.

I'm actually going to be doing an American Pilsner and Dusseldorf Alt at the same time, since Alts have similar fermentation temps to lagers.

Here's my plan:
-Pitch lager with S-23 SafLager and Alt with Wyeast 1007 German Ale @65F
-Wait until fermentation starts and drop temperature to 54F
-Let ferment for 2 weeks, then raise temp to 60F for 2 days
-After diacetyl rest, rack to kegs, seal with CO2, purge O2, lager @34F for 4 weeks

Questions:
1) Does my plan sound good for the Pilsner and Alt?

2) Hitting the kegs with some CO2 to purge the O2 before lagering should be OK, correct?

3) The only way to lager in my freezer is to store the kegs on their sides. I don't think this will be a problem, but it will take longer for the yeast to settle out once lagering is done and it's in my kegerator. That sound about right?

I'd try to get the lager a little cooler and the alt a little warmer.

2 weeks might be too late for a diacetyl rest. Most of my lagers have really slowed down within 7 days (at 50 F). You want to catch them when around 80-90% of fermentation is complete.

Purging with CO2 is always a good idea.

Lager on the side will be just as "quick", except that they will need a day or so to re-settle once moved to vertical. Just make sure you have a good seal.

I only have a single fermentation freezer, so they have to be together. 54-55F is a pretty good split the difference temp.

So diacetyl rest around the 7 day mark, and rack to keg after that's done?

Sometimes even 7 days is too late for D rest. Conventional wisdom, as pjj2ba pointed out, is to do the rest around 80% of the way. Sometimes that can be only a few days after pitching. Also, there're a lot of people around here who skip the D rest altogether. It is only required if excess diacetyl is present which, with many modern yeast strains, it won't be.

I'm thinking I may use WLP862 Cry Havoc for both of them. I can make a 6L starter and split it between them. Ferment at 55F (low end of lager temp for the yeast) and taste after a week for diacetyl. Reviews show that it's definitely versatile enough to be used for both American Pilsner and German Altbier.

everyone told me to leave my alt in the primary at 52 degrees for at least a month. I did, and it turned out pretty much a ringer for the dusseldorf style. i never really raised the temp for a rest but no butterscotch, so i guess it worked its way out.

everyone told me to leave my alt in the primary at 52 degrees for at least a month. I did, and it turned out pretty much a ringer for the dusseldorf style. i never really raised the temp for a rest but no butterscotch, so i guess it worked its way out.

Sounds good. It may be a bit different for me since I'll be lagering it at 34F or so.

Glad you posted this, as I'm doing my first lager soon also. I'd like to tack on a question about lager starters--do I ferment the starter at room temp or should it be at lager fermentation temps?

Glad you posted this, as I'm doing my first lager soon also. I'd like to tack on a question about lager starters--do I ferment the starter at room temp or should it be at lager fermentation temps?

Good question. The purpose of the starter is to produce as much yeast as possible, so I'd say that room temperature is the way to go.

Thanks for all of the advice. Mashing in the first beer of this double brew day. The American Pilsner is first, followed by the Altbier. Actually kind of looking forward to taking a month and a half break while these ferment and lager. Will give me a good chance to deep clean my equipment and replace some small things.

Back