Four Batches in one week troubles... advice ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeybeer

Reaction score
So I had to turn my serving fridge up to fermenting temps last week so I figured I might as well fill it.. I made a 10gallon batch of Cream of 3 Crops, a 5 gallon batch of my FFIPA, and a 5 gallon batch of Clean Your Room Brown.

They've been at 62 in the fridge for around a week now, last night I went in to do some gravity readings.. and here are the results + crisis

The Good -
Cream Ale No Chill 5g American Ale Yeast - Delicious ! 1.012
Clean Your Room Brown, American Ale Yeast - Tastes dark + light mouthfeel - 1.016

The Bad
FFIPA 5g American Ale Yeast - Sweet and Hoppy - 1.042 !!! This one was 1.050 a week ago, and it's coming down REALLY slowly !!

Cream Ale, Chilled, 5g, American Ale - 1.012
This one is shooting cloudy pink crap out of the airlock and smells, tastes, looks HORRIBLE.. Nothing at all like the other 5 gallons out of the same batch.. This is the first beer out of about 15 batches that I am thinking about tossing.. The first I've chilled with a borrowed chiller that must not have been sanitized properly ?? No telling but this one is going out ..

The Questions
Should I pitch more yeast onto the FFIPA, in an attempt to get it to "go faster" ? (It's been 10 days and I'm dying to use my new stirplate, and I have more American Ale yeast.)

Is there any hope for a split 10g batch where one half is drinkable and the other smells and tastes like the devil's taint.. I mean this is bad.. pink "yeast" shooting out of the airlock.. this is a dumper.. no question here..

The cream of 3 crops was US05 that I'd washed and built up a starter with.. although thinking back, more of the "good stuff" might have gotten into the no chill one..
All the others were Wyeast 1056 American Ale

So all three batches used yeast from the same starter? If that's the case, how did you divide the yeast that went into each batch?

barrooze said:
So all three batches used yeast from the same starter? If that's the case, how did you divide the yeast that went into each batch?

Ummm willy nilly and hope for the best.... It's becoming apparent that I'm an ass and I'll dump it :)

I went ahead and poured a dry us05 pack onto the FFIPA :)

Also try to warm that batch up a little. The fact you may have really underpitched your yeast at temps that are fairly low could definitely get a slow start and cause under attenuation. Make sure you rehydrate the us-05 you add back in. Also, since you had three batches in the fridge at once, the ffipa may have been in front of the cool air outlet, causing the temp of that batch much cooler than then rest. Have you done three at once in your fridge before?

No... That's a great point, never thought about temp fluctuations in the fridge ... Thanks!

Back