What Size Propane Tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fritobandito

Reaction score
So I just got an sq 14 burner today, but don't have a propane tank yet. A guy on Craigslist is selling 20 lb tanks for 10 bucks each so I was gonna get two of them. I was just wondering what size tanks most people use.

I use the normal 20 lb tanks. It'll last you for several brews. It's good to have 2 so you never have a situation where you have no propane.

I use a 20lb tank as well. You may already know this, but be sure to check the date on those tanks so you don't get a tank that's going to expire shortly or is already expired.

Be sure the tanks he is selling are equipped with an OPD valve. As far as I know, you can't get an old style tank filled anywhere anymore unless you are really good friends with someone at the filling station.

The OPD tanks have a triangle knob on top.

We use a 20lb tank as well, mostly just because that's what my grill uses. We keep two around though just in case one runs out while we're grilling or brewing.

I use a 20lb tank as well. You may already know this, but be sure to check the date on those tanks so you don't get a tank that's going to expire shortly or is already expired.

We found this out the hard way. My buddy bought it from one of the "Buy or Exchange" places, and we went to refill and they refused. We just exchanged it, but it costs about $6-7 more to exchange than it does to refill.

Tanks are good for 12 years from a stamped date, 7yrs from a date with an S after it, and 5yrs from a date with an E after it. Triangle valve means it has an OPD, and most consumer tanks have to have it to get filled. Whatever you do, get the things filled, because then you get 20lbs, not the 15lbs that most if not all tank exchange places give you.

+1 on getting two tanks so you're never completely out. There are tanks out there that have a reserve switch on them which cuts off flow at 20 percent left or so. You flip a switch and it lets you drain it completely empty. They cost a little bit more, but it is nice to have that early warning.

We just exchanged it, but it costs about $6-7 more to exchange than it does to refill.

Are you using Blue Rhino to exchange?

If so, it's MUCH more than $6-7 different. Blue Rhino is only filling to 75% capacity. Look next time you go. It says on the sign "15lb Fill" so they are shorting you 5 lbs of gas and charging you $6 more!

Screw those guys. Go to your local propane company and get a 20lb fill for cheaper. If there isn't a propane place nearby, check with the u-haul place. lots of times they have a filling station.

edit: TheDom beat me to the partial fill thing... oh well....

That is rarely a real issue, just exchange it at a Blue Rhino or other station, they never check the tanks at Point of Sale, Then get it refilled cheaper until that tank is about to expire and change it out again.

Are you using Blue Rhino to exchange?

If so, it's MUCH more than $6-7 different. Blue Rhino is only filling to 75% capacity. Look next time you go. It says on the sign "15lb Fill" so they are shorting you 5 lbs of gas and charging you $6 more!

Screw those guys. Go to your local propane company and get a 20lb fill for cheaper. If there isn't a propane place nearby, check with the u-haul place. lots of times they have a filling station.

edit: TheDom beat me to the partial fill thing... oh well....

I tried taking it to the local U-Haul to get it filled. The date was only 10 years ago, and their policy is 12, but the guy refused to fill it unless it was re-tested. I didn't feel like picking a fight, so I drove across the street and exchanged it for one at the AmeriGas change - I suspect its identical to Blue Rhino...

But now we have a tank with a more current date, so we can get it refilled over and over again :)

That is rarely a real issue, just exchange it at a Blue Rhino or other station, they never check the tanks at Point of Sale, Then get it refilled cheaper until that tank is about to expire and change it out again.

I didn't think of that solution, good call.

Screw those guys. Go to your local propane company and get a 20lb fill for cheaper. If there isn't a propane place nearby, check with the u-haul place. lots of times they have a filling station. QUOTE]

Or welding gas supply. I get propane and CO2 at the same place.

Back