scottish strong ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenS

Reaction score
So I'm about to brew a scottish strong ale and my LHBS doesn't have scottish yeast. What is a viable substitute? I'm leaning towards nottingham and just thinking of dropping the yeast out of suspension by cooling it when gets to its target gravity. It's either that or a london or burton ale yeast. What does everyone here think? I could also go with irish ale yeast. Thanks in advance.

I'm leaning towards nottingham and just thinking of dropping the yeast out of suspension by cooling it when gets to its target gravity.

Whatever you do, don't do this. Stopping fermentation part way through is a good way to get bad beer. If you really want less attenuation, mash higher, ferment colder, or use a different yeast.

That said, the Irish Ale yeast should be a decent substitute for the Scottish. Wyeast 1762 fermented at slightly colder temps (think 65-70F) would work as well.

Latest posts

Back