Buying bulk hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppheadIPA

Reaction score
I'm planning on ordering severl pounds of hops and I'd like to know one thing. Leaf or pellets??? I'm stuck on this. What are the advantages/disadvantages of both. What do you guys get?

I personally prefer leaf hops over pellet but it can be a pain to store them properly. We use a "foodsaver" to package our bulk hops and leaf hops require more and larger bags. The bags are quite expensive and this adds to our cost. I was thinking about going all pellets on our next order but there's something cool about opening a pound of leaf and breaking out the scale.....

I'm planning on ordering severl pounds of hops and I'd like to know one thing. Leaf or pellets??? I'm stuck on this. What are the advantages/disadvantages of both. What do you guys get?

I would buy witch ever type you have been using already. I personally prefer using pellets, but plenty of other people prefer whole hops. It depends on your brewing practices.

I recently bought 11 pounds of hops from Hops Direct, and 2 of the pounds were the whole leaf variety. After usung both, I prefer pellets. They store better, take up less less space, and much easier to dry hop in a glass carboy than inserting the leaf! Plus I find that they don't leave quite as much trub in the boil kettle / fermenter.

For convenience and storage space, I prefer pellets. A whole pound of pellets fits in roughly a 1qt ziploc. You can fit only a couple of ounces of leaf hops in that same qt. ziploc.

Some say leaf will leave better dry hop aromas, but I've used both and have not noticed a difference. Although, yes the whole leafs really do have some strange cool factor to them. They make you dream of rolling around on a bed of hops.

I dont like leaf hops. They are a ***** to filter out, clogged my pump, stuck to everything, storage difficulty, need to be weighted to dry hop and multiple other things. I prefer pellets. If you have used leafs, then you don't have to worry about the things I mentioned.

Back