Electric burner idea for brew kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeafSmith

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to make the move to all grain and trying to decide what to do about a brew kettle. I want to brew indoors - don't have a water source in my garage and it's too hot to be outside in the summer anyway. Also don't need more than 5 gallon batches. I really like the idea of going electric, but can't get a large (10 gallon) pot on my electric stove (even 8 gallons would be awkward). I had considered using a water heater element mounted in the kettle but I'm a little worried about the things I'm reading here about rust and the zinc coating disappearing from the elements - also worried that cleaning the kettle would be difficult without taking out the element. I would like to use a stainless "Megapot" with the sandwiched aluminum bottom for even heating.
In one thread I saw someone (IIRC it was the "Bargain Fittings" guy) who had taken the coils and controls from an electric stove and made his own stove with three of the coils placed close together. I like that idea, but don't have an old stove - there are some on Craig'sList, but I don't have a truck to pick one up and don't want to have to dispose of the remains anyway, and so far I haven't found a drop-in range top for a reasonable price.
So I looked around a bit and see that I can get 6 inch 1250 watt coils for about $18. Now I'm thinking, why not build a "burner" using a flat piece of metal with 4 holes for six inch elements placed close together, mounted on legs (metal tubing?) and braced as required to support the weight. New element temp control units are pricey, so use 15 amp SPST toggle switches (about $5 each) to turn on 1,2,3,or all 4 coils as needed. If I could turn on one of the elements to half power, I could get even more levels of power control. The 240 v outlet I have access to doesn't have neutral, only the two hot lines and safety ground, so I can't use 120 v (which would only be 1/4 power anyway), but why not use a rectifier (10 or 15 amps should be enough) and another toggle switch (SPDT) to allow the fourth burner (only) to be selectable between full 240 v power and half-wave rectified 240 v power. This would give power levels of 625, 1250, 1875, 2500, 3125, 3750, 4375, and 5000 watts, depending on how many elements were turned on and whether the fourth element was on full or half-wave current. I hope this would be a fine enough level of control to maintain the boil level I want. I don't know what effect this would have on a GFCI, but it seems to me that it shouldn't have any because even with the half-wave rectified current, the same amount of current is always flowing in each of the hot lines - any electricians out there who might know if this would cause problems with the GFCI?
This is just a wild idea I had, so feel free to shoot it down before I spend any money on it. :)

It takes a lot of electrical ooommmmppphhh to boil five gallons in the conventional manner.

You gotta jam the heating element right into the wort like it was a water heater tank.

That's why most guys use those high pressure banjo burners

I think it should work. I don't know about the heating elements and how they work, but assuming you don't fry the system, 5000 watts should be enough to boil 6g for a full 5g batch.

You should find a drop in stove fairly fast. If you want the controls like I used I would just post on the Wanted section of craigslist. Also keep a simple set of tools in your car and do some alley drives and you can strip a stove in about 2 minutes flat!

The On off switches would probably work just fine.

The reason I think 5000 watts is enough is that I can get 5 gallons to a boil in a 6 gallon Megapot (not insulated) on 1 8 inch element, which I think is only about 2200 watts (but it is slow).

You should find a drop in stove fairly fast. If you want the controls like I used I would just post on the Wanted section of craigslist. Also keep a simple set of tools in your car and do some alley drives and you can strip a stove in about 2 minutes flat!

The On off switches would probably work just fine.

How did you mount your elements - did you just modify the stovetop, or build a special stand? Are you happy with the system you made? Anything in particular to watch out for in building or using it?

I built a custom stand. The burners just sit on top and I drilled a small hole to attach the element electrical connector to. Very simple set up. Aluminum foil to provide a reflector and to be easily replaced after I get some spills on it.

Build thread and more pictures here

electricrig1.jpg

electricburner.jpg

Hello DeafSmith, did you get it working? I am striving for the same thing but am having problems (see my post at https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/electric-stove-burners-tripping-gfci-169210/).

To sum up, my electric burners had an electrical leak that caused a ground fault, tripping my GFI. I concluded that it was caused by cheap electric burners. I just wanted to see how your's came along.

Craig

Hi Craig - I had the same problem with my GFCI, but discovered by accident what it was. When I first built my stove, I wanted to test it to see how long it would take to boil water. I couldn't get the GFCI to quit tripping, so I wired around it and ran my boil test. After the test, I hooked the GFCI back in the circuit to troubleshoot the problem, but now it wouldn't trip. My conclusion was that the elements absorb enough moisture from the air over a period of days/weeks/months to provide enough of a leakage path to trip the GFCI. I wired a regular 30 amp breaker into my spa panel in parallel with the GFCI breaker to use at the start of the brewday to bake out the moisture. I have run two or three days of testing and last Thursday I used the stove for the first time for a complete all-grain brew day. In each case, I have had trouble with the GFCI at the beginning, but after baking out the moisture I have no more problems. My standard procedure now, which I used Thursday, is to start out by turning the GFCI off and the regular breaker on, turn all elements on medium high for about 10 minutes, then turn off the regular breaker, turn on the GFCI, and proceed with the brew. I used the stove extensively Thursday over a period of several hours and it did not trip the GFCI a single time (after the initial turn-on before I baked out the moisture). I am very happy with the way it performed. I first wrote up something about this problem last summer (May or June ?) - search for "stovezilla" - I posted some pictures of my build. Since then I have built a wooden cart on rollers with the stove mounted on top - I'll try to get some more pictures up soon.

Steve

Not sure if you went through all this trouble or not but why not just use something like one of those Nuwave induction cookers. You can get one for about 45 bucks cheap to run and really easy to maintain any certain temp you want.

Back