1.5 gallon glass carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard of them on different forums before, or different brewing sites, I can get a 1.5 gallon bucket or a 1.3 gallon glass carboy (its called something different) theya must be out there:(

Unfortunately...you can't get one in a traditional sense, they don't exist. I've been looking for a 1.5 for a few months now, someone posted how they found one on ebay but I have never come across one. My guess is that someone will get around to this in the next few years but there are some options:

1. Try different search engines and term names: Look for 6 liter or 6 quart or 6000 mililiter carboys, they are out there but not glass.

2. Scientific industry suppliers have some things that come close. I have found a 2.3 Carboy that is very sexy...only issue is that these sites are for scientists and institutes...I needed to order a case of 6 for over $700! Plus, if you get up that high, why not just buy a 3 gallon

3. A final true solution to this is along the lines of the other posters. DO NOT try fermenting in cheap wine glass...that is just asking for trouble. You need to purchase a champagne bottle for safety reasons. A 1.5 gallon champagne bottle is called a Methuselah. You will probably have to special order one unless you live in wine country. The only issue with this is even with "cheap" champagne, the sheer size of the bottle will probably come with an equally big price tag...up to you

Hope this helps...I am in the same boat as you are as I really only brew 1-gallon batches but most carboys do not allow the room for a "full" batch with krausen and all. Let me know if you come across anything, I did find an antique carboy on ebay this morning with no size stated, but one of the pictures is up against a bottle and it looks a little more than a 1-gallon, its strangly shaped though.

Good luck!

I tried to post this earlier but it didn't appear...hope this works:

I am in the same boat you are, I LOVE 1-gallon batches; their easy, great for experimenting, and don't require much in terms of cost. I am also with you that 1-gallon carboys simply do not hold a full batch. You usually have very little space in the carboy and get an overflow during fermentation. DO NOT listen to people telling you to use cheap wine bottles. They can not handle fementation* A few solutions for you, since I have literally spent months trying to find a 1.5 myself:

1. Try different search terms and search engines such as 6 liter, 6 quart, and 6000 mililiters, these can lead you to better sites and not just to amazon, ebay and brew supply chains (which have none)

2. There is an antique carboy on ebay right now that looks like it is around a 1.5, very old and not a standard so check it out but be warned.

3. You need to head to scientific supply stores to get this done. I have found a 2.3 so far but they want you to order a case of 6 or 8 for over $600! I have found 5 liter glass carboys on there...

4. The * I put up there earlier. Buying some large cheap wine bottle is only going to get you a REALLY cheap pierce of glass. If you really want one that can survive fermentation, you need to get a champagne bottle. 1 1/2 gallon bottles are called an Imperial or a Methuselah (true champagne name). Of course, now that your buying one of the largest bottle of champagne on earth, you again getting into some pricey areas, but it will be exactly what you want. Go to your local wine store and see what's the cheapest they can order, get it and celebrate with a few friends on your spectacular ability to find a 1.5 gallon carboy when they really don't exist.

5. You can get one custom made by a packaging or container company, this might be expensive but I'm looking into it. They probably don't want to make only one, but there is a market for it so well see.

Hope this helps, send a pic if you get one!

Best,
Cali

Calichusetts

I'm not sure why you think glass wine bottles can't be used for fermentation.

You should have a piece of foil or an airlock on the top to allow the co2 to escape.

I would imagine you can find lots of different glass jars that look like this at local stores:

anchor-hocking-88904-1-1-2-gallon-glass-montana-jar-with-metal-cover.jpg

I searched for 2 gallon and 1.5 gallon glass jar on Google to find that.

He's looking for a glass carboy not a jar, guess it doesn't really make a difference...

Wine bottles are not meant to handle pressure, they may, but there is always a risk of breaking...he could easily use a beverage holder (many on Amazon at 1.5 gallons) but they too are not meant for any type of pressure.

What kind of pressure is generated while fermenting?

Carboys are not meant to hold any pressure either.

I don't have any pressure build up, unless my airlock plugs, but that's why I use a blow-off tube.

That was the point I was trying make. Typically you don't ferment under pressure and certainly would not do it in a carboy, bucket, wine bottle or other vessels.

I may be wrong...new to brewing, but I was simply trying to answer his question on finding a glass carboy at 1.5 gallons...either way, using a cheap wine bottle wouldn't be the best choice IMO

I may be wrong...new to brewing, but I was simply trying to answer his question on finding a glass carboy at 1.5 gallons...either way, using a cheap wine bottle wouldn't be the best choice IMO

Well, I use cheap bottles all the time for fermenting. Jug wines come in 4L, 1.5L, and 750 ml bottles, and stoppers for them are cheap. A stopper and an airlock and you're in business! I also use beer growlers (1/2 gallon) and beer bottles for storing my "top up" wine. Since you're using an airlock, pressure generated isn't an issue.

I've never seen a 1.5 or 2 gallon fermenter, although they must exist.

Did not mean it as an attack or a negative. Just info. I've been searching for a bit to see if any 5, 6, 7 or 8 quart / liter glass carboys exist and have not had any luck as of yet.

I have found nalgene and polycarbonate vessels.

Do they look like that? Pretty sure that first one you posted is the current one I use...minus a swing top...

I have one.

I know that this is an old thread, but this is the one that I have:

http://www.houzz.com/photos/238793/Recycled-Glass-Jar-modern-vases-

I'm not sure if they still make them, and the price is like double what I paid from a different store, but if you really want a 1.5 gal carboy (mine is closer to 1.75 gal). it takes a #9.5 stopper, and is nice and heavy wit hthick walls.

enjoy

Well, I use cheap bottles all the time for fermenting. Jug wines come in 4L, 1.5L, and 750 ml bottles, and stoppers for them are cheap. A stopper and an airlock and you're in business! I also use beer growlers (1/2 gallon) and beer bottles for storing my "top up" wine. Since you're using an airlock, pressure generated isn't an issue.

I've never seen a 1.5 or 2 gallon fermenter, although they must exist.

I think I am going to go buy a 6 liter jug of Carlo Rossi and dump it down my drain so I have a 6 quart primary.

I am confused if I use something ie wine bottle whatever as fermenter why would it be under pressure, airlock should relieve at near 0 pressure. help me understand all the no wine bottle post

No issue...just a misunderstanding. Of course there is a minute chance the carboy clogs during fermentation leading to pressure but I've only heard of that like once or twice happening.

I was very lucky to find a couple of 2gallon pyrex carboys used to make saline, i have to check the store next time I go back home to see if I can find any more.

They are great, id recommend looking for them.

Saw a couple little 1.5 and 2 gallon jars at Wally World for pretty cheap. Not sure you'd be able to use an airlock, but you don't really need one anyway, just set the lid on top or use foil or something. I was thinking they'd make pretty good fermenters for starters ;)

It's an old thread but it still shows up for people (like me) trying to find a decent fermenter for 1 gallon batches. Something in the 5 to 6 liter range. Walmart sells a 5 liter Mason jar style drink dispenser for $14. I noticed the wide mouth glass carboy bubblers have started adding a spout as well. I'm not sure if the glass on the Yorkshire is thick enough to handle any pressure, but its only $14. I also googled "fusti" and came up with some good ideas.

Look at the Little Big Mouth Glass Bubbler at Northern Brewer. It holds over 1.4 gallons. One gallon jugs gave me 10 bottles, while the Little Big Mouth gives me 14 to 15 bottles per batch. I searched for months for such a product like this. --John

Back