BOSTON this weekend - Recommendations anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoogieBrandBooze

Reaction score
I'm heading to Boston this weekend for a Belgian beer fest Saturday night but will be arriving Friday afternoon and leaving late Sunday morning. That means I'll have some time to kill, preferably at some good brewpubs. Any locals (or non-locals) have some suggestions for me? My beer snobbery is only outshone by my food snobbery if that gives you anything to work with...

Oh, and any exceptional non-brewpub or non-gastronomic ideas are also welcome!

Sweet. Thanks for the links.

Yeah, the forecast for NJ is pretty heinous so I'm sure it's going to be just as bad or worse up there...ah well, I'll deal...with a brew in hand I always deal...

The beer fest is a good take, those guys do a great job.

Watch out for Jim Koch, he is a habitual line cutter :D

I've got to disagree with Babalu... Boston Beer Works is mediocre at best. Bukowski's is good, but I always felt it was overpriced and self-conscious.

The best place in terms of food and beer is definitely the Publick House in Brookline ( http://www.eatgoodfooddrinkbetterbeer.com/ )

Redbones in Davis Square has good barbecue (for Boston) and a great tap selection, but your meal there can be very rushed.

If you want a brew-pub, then Cambridge Brewing Company is your best bet, much better food and much better beer than Boston Beer Works...

The Sunset Grill has a huge number of beers on tap, but nothing to really wow an experienced beer drinker, although you can get your beer in a yard glass, which is good fun.

I've got to disagree with Babalu... Boston Beer Works is mediocre at best. Bukowski's is good, but I always felt it was overpriced and self-conscious.

The best place in terms of food and beer is definitely the Publick House in Brookline ( http://www.eatgoodfooddrinkbetterbeer.com/ )

Redbones in Davis Square has good barbecue (for Boston) and a great tap selection, but your meal there can be very rushed.

If you want a brew-pub, then Cambridge Brewing Company is your best bet, much better food and much better beer than Boston Beer Works...

The Sunset Grill has a huge number of beers on tap, but nothing to really wow an experienced beer drinker, although you can get your beer in a yard glass, which is good fun.

You must have caught Beer Works at a bad time for you or something.

Redbones is good BBQ anywhere.

Bukowski's is what it is

You must have caught Beer Works at a bad time for you or something.

Redbones is good BBQ anywhere.

Bukowski's is what it is

*shrug* I've been to Beer Works many times for its proximity to Fenway. Never been overly impressed, I guess mileage may vary.

Redbones may indeed be good BBQ anywhere, but as a northeasterner, I'm not qualified to make that judgment.

*shrug* I've been to Beer Works many times for its proximity to Fenway. Never been overly impressed, I guess mileage may vary.

Redbones may indeed be good BBQ anywhere, but as a northeasterner, I'm not qualified to make that judgment.

Never been to the one @ Fenway, only on Canal Street where the do the actual brewing.

We won the war, we have that right :D
I've been to the Carolinas a bunch, its right thar with it ya'll

Never been to the one @ Fenway, only on Canal Street where the do the actual brewing.

We won the war, we have that right :D
I've been to the Carolinas a bunch, its right thar with it ya'll

Hah. That argument never seems to work for me with my friends from the Carolinas and Texas... although the Carolineans think more highly of RedBones than the Texans, so it may be a style thing.

Not a big Redbones fan.... Bukowski is a good spot... It's an artsy hole in the wall dive bar with a pretty respectable tap/bottle list.

Publick House has no equal... love that place.

(hanging my head in shame)... never been to CBC . I KNOW... I KNOW.... I'm mocked on a regular basis about it.

Deep Ellum is another one (never been but people swear by it)

.... and as I've posted in other threads on Boston bahs... don't sell Kinsale short ion Govt. Center. It's the best tap list right down in the center of the Financial District.

Also... if you're over on Newbury St... The Other Side is a pretty good place... Parrish Cafe is a good place for lunch (pretty decent tap/bottle list) and nice menu.

I wouldn't drink beer for free at Sunset.

Hmmm... where else... Beer Works? I've always had decent beers in there (the one on Canal st as well).

I wouldn't drink beer for free at Sunset.

I have to agree with this sentiment. For some reason it seems like the beer doesn't move so quickly at the Sunset Grille. I have had my fair share of **** bottles and drafts at this place. :(

If you do find yourself in Alston...then hit Deep Ellum. this place is first rate. The beer selection is ALWAYS fresh and the food is really excellent, not to mention the waitstaff is very knowledgeable about the beers!

Bukowski's is always a treat. Either location is worth checking out. Redbones gets an A+ in my book, but might be a bit of a haul to Davis square after the BBF.

+1 on the CBC good brew, good food.

You may want to check out Jacob Worth's, lots of options and also decent food.

I thought the Sunset was decent, if only to get things like Lagunitas on tap!

Reposted from other Boston thread.

I'll be at CBC for a friend's bday this saturday

Rock Bottom is real touristy, right in the middle of the theater district. It feels like a Fridays with beer.

Publick House is a T ride away on the C-line. Amazing beer bar.
As for a bottle shop Publick House Provisions is right next door. They are a little steep but have great hard to find stuff.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/publick-house-provisions-brookline

My favorite place is Penguin Pizza in Brigham Circle (Green line E train). It's a good pizza place with a great beer list. 40+ taps and hundreds of bottles.

Beer Works is right next to the Garden and is great for pre-game. It's a brew pub.

If you get there real early, Pizzeria Regina is amazing. It's very near the garden, in the North End. Their sausage, Bell peppers and mushroom pizza is my single favorite pizza.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/pizzeria-regina-boston-4

Bukowski's Tavern is my second favorite. If they have Pretty Things Jack D'or on tap... you must try it. It's a local american saison, big american hop character and lots of saisony spice. It is my favorite beer.

As for local brews to try

Fisherman's Pumpkin Stout - Nice roast character, very subtle spice, one of the only pumpkin beers I like.

Harpoon IPA - Local staple, not as hoppy as the west coasters (~50 IBU), but great floral hop character, closer to british style.

Pretty Things Jack D'or - Only sold in 22ozs or on draft... awesome

Allagash Tripel - not sold in 6 packs I don't think. Great tripel. If you like wit's, there's is great too.

I forgot to mention, if you flash your AHA card at the CBC you'll get a beer on the house :)

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! Sounds like there are plenty of places to keep me busy for the weekend...maybe too many...

So I've gone and come back and let me say Publick House definitely lived up to the hype. Had a great meal and an abundance of even better beer...As for C4PNJ4ZZ's suggestions: Pretty Things Jack D'Or was incredible. I should have picked up a case on my way back...The Harpoon IPA was right up my alley. Didn't get to the pumpkin ale or Allagash (I had a bottle of Allagash the week before I left, coincidentally) but got to plenty others at Publick House and the Belgian Beerfest. A mighty fine beer-filled weekend. Thanks again to everyone who offered suggestions. I'll try to hit up everything else next time...and there will be a next time!

Latest posts

Back