Brewhemoth conicals?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pot bottoms must be cut round on a rotary cookie cutter it would be labor intense to go thru the trouble cutting them into oval.
What condition did the shipping box look like, sounds like it was sat on or stacked in shipping? You received it without looking at it from UPS? My driver stayed and watched me remove the ferm from the box making sure it was ok.
My Brewhemoth ferm came very well protected for shipping.
I would seriously doubt Dale and Josh would ship a product looking as you stated. I would be be calling them first documenting your problem before flexing the top section round again incase you you mess it up, CYA your end.
My thinking it's a simple fix from working with aircraft sheetmetal years ago.

It's out of round because it's a piece of stainless that was, from what I can tell, bent into a circular shape, and then welded down a seam. And when the handles were welded on, it flattened out the pot walls even more. I'm not here bitching about brewhemoth, I know you get what you pay for. I just asked if the conicals were of better quality. i know for the price you can't beat it. But again, you have to consider what you're getting for the price.

Regarding the bottom, it's circular. But it has a rock to it. The burner grates on my rig were dead nuts flat, because my Blichman bottom is dead nuts flat. We had to put in a jack and basically raise the roof off the garage to get enough of an indentation in the grate so that the penrose won't rock when full.

Regarding the shipping, the boxes arrived undamaged. No creases, dings, etc. The pots are the way they were made.

Has anyone that ordered their Brewhemoth on or after April 21, 2011 received ship confirmation yet? Mine is still in process. The last update I got was that there was some machine availability issues and they were waiting to have some more parts made, I see online that the standard Brewhemoth is out of stock. My new expected ship date is on or around June 4. I have all my fittings from St Pats for a couple of weeks so I guess I will kill some time working on a ferm chamber. I will post pictures of it as soon as it arrives. I had it customized with adjustable legs, two 1.5 tri-clover ports at top (one on each side of the 4" top) and a 1.5" tri added at bottom for thermowell. I have an idea of rigging up an element to the bottom tri and using it to boil a small amount of water in the bottom as sterilization technique (of course without pressurization). St pats also had Beer shank threaded triclovers that have different fittings available such as barbed fittings, and Gas fittings... If anyone has an idea to get an element rigged up to a tri-clamp I am all ears.

Would this work for you?

What is the height of the 90 degree fitting measured off a flat surface to top of 90 at the barb?
Yours a Stout Tanks fitting and what does the weld look like?
Tis welded at the bottom of the cap or top?

First off, I have the St Pats one, so knowing that someone makes one for 1/3 the price, I wouldn't go there. The Stout one does look a little bit larger in the picture.

If I put it flat on a table, it's about 2", but whatever tubing and whatever style hose clamp you use will be on top of that. I can't tell more exact than that cause they are all in use right now.

What are you guys who are doing 15+ gallons doing for a starter? For fermenting 17 gal of 1.055 wort, I need to pich 3 packs into a 7 liter starter. Are you guys making such large starters? If you are, what kind of container are you using and what about using a stirplate? How do you stir so much liquid? Probably the wrong place to ask, however I am still talking about the Brewhemoth!

I would like to hear from all of you how you are handling the starters of your yeast for this much volume. Look forward to your answers!

I usually plan my beers to do 3-4 in a row with the same yeast. I make my smallest beer first and make a large starter... usually 3-5 vials in a 5L flask w/ stirplate. Once the first beer is done then I have a huge amount of yeast left to crop from and repitch in the next batch. I used to repitch on the yeast in the cone with good success, but that leads to a bit of over pitching so now I dump and measure and use the slurry tool on mrmalty.

I have two 5L flasks and two stirplates. I just did a belgian golden strong at 1.083 and had to make two 4L starters (3 vials total). If you can keep the yeast cake going and brew several in a row you will save a lot of cash. You can also build up a starter over time (I never have time it seems) and start with a single vial to save some dough.

Well, I guess I'll chime in even though I'm not a brewhemoth owner.

I make my starters in a corny keg. Sometimes they are 2 or 3 gallon starters depending. I am not even using the Ox stone anymore on my starters and am experimenting with 'no-chill' starters, so to speak. I put boiling wort in and put the whole closed up keg in a recirc'ing water bath. Takes about 30 mins to pitch temp. And it's a lot less to clean vs my immersion chiller and stone combo. I don't like making one brew day into two.

Then after chilling I pressurize the keg with my oxygen tank to about 3-4 PSI (what I'm assuming is that it's 20-30 ppm Ox or whatever... just a greater concentration of Ox than Air) and shake her up several times over a period. Then slap my spunding valve on the keg set at 3 PSI and wait for the Ox to be eaten off. After pushing the starter into the primary w/ CO2, my corny then functions as a ganged pressurizable blow-off vessel and top-cropper/yeast harvester and the circle of life continues. If I put 2 short gas dip tubes in the corny after pitching, I can then just push CO2 from one keg to the primary and out for racking to serving vessels without ever depressurizing.

Loving my BREWHEMOTH! :rockin:

I bought it with out the chiller set up and made my own.

in the beginning there was copper...
e93754c5.jpg

I then took a 4" Tri-clover cap and drilled it out and put in 2 1/4" bulkhead unions and one 3/8" for a thermowell.

fffbb6b7.jpg

3c8835a5.jpg

I then insulated the conical with what looked like foil covered bubble rap from home depot. In the pic I hadnt done the dome yet.

b49d2248.jpg

I keep the conical next to my chest freezer/kegerator so I keep a cornie filled with water in it for chilling (until I get glycol). I have an el-cheap-o fountain pump in it plugged into the same control box that I use for brewing temp control. This way I did the whole setup for the least amount on ca$h!!
5f9ffdac.jpg

1ffc9b96.jpg

dbc4834e.jpg

I have 11 gallons on Wit in it now and have it set at 65* with a .5 diff. It kicks on for 2 minutes every 2 to 3 hours.

I ordered my valves from Brewers Hardware, the prices seemed fair, and customer service was good. they should arrive tomorrow or Friday then I'm gonna try and work in a brew this weekend, otherwise I'll have to wait 3 weeks before I have time, and thats just sad.

Loving my BREWHEMOTH! :rockin:

I bought it with out the chiller set up and made my own.

in the beginning there was copper...
e93754c5.jpg

I have 11 gallons on Wit in it now and have it set at 65* with a .5 diff. It kicks on for 2 minutes every 2 to 3 hours.
Looks nice but I would not be using copper with fermented beer. Copper before fermention is fine and actually by some considered a good thing but not after.

Copper can catalyze staling reactions (trans 2 nonenal, linoleic acid) during and after fermentation. Better to go with stainless.

Putting my first brew in the brewhemoth today. Since I ferment in the spare shower I got a showerhead on a hose for my own ghetto "clean in place" system.
brewhemothvalves.jpg

hmmmm very nice... i have been thinking of getting into a stainless conical soon. i keep reading and reading all the threads on morebeer, blichmann, stout tanks, and now this and i can't decide.

if i could get a blichmann top on a brewhemoth, with tc and legs hefty enough to handle some casters but keep it under $650 i think id be sold instantly

but alas i guess i will have to do more research :mug:

ok... so i have basically been looking at conicals for the better part of every night for 3 nights. im thinking i am deciding between a brewhemoth triclamp and a Blickmann 14 gal. triclamp.

yes the Blingmann would cost me roughly $250-300 more and would be smaller in volume. I have a Blichmann kettle and it is awesome. one of the things i love about it is that the welds are all ground and smoothed out.

Does anyone with a brewhemoth have any inside pics of the tank? i wold like to see how the welds are. yes its a bit snobby but if they look decent even if they are not smoothed out i think i will get a brewhemoth.

if i could get a blichmann top on a brewhemoth, with tc and legs hefty enough to handle some casters but keep it under $650 i think id be sold instantly

but alas i guess i will have to do more research :mug:

If you can rip off the three legs each leg welded at 6 different locations or 18 total of 3/4" long like the first edition Brehemoth's plus ordered with 100% TC fitting, one was tested over 150 psi I paid $459.99, your on your own with shopping around. Ask for legs to be welded like the first edition.
"Keep it under $650", I bet Dale and Josh can make that happen with money left over this including throwing in the internal cooling coil option plus their free shipping of over 22 gallon capacity.
A triangle frame like a piano moving cart offset supports bolted at the ferms legs allowing the ferms legs only 1/2" clearance off the ground still able to fit in a fridge if required. I made a quick 2 x 4 cart for testing, ferms legs were 7" above the ground plus filled to the brim and it wheeled around with ease, the lowered version out of channel steel will be more stable and lower. Wanting a lower capacity ferm costing more, look somewhere else it's you money.

If you can rip off the three legs each leg welded at 6 different locations or 18 total of 3/4" long like the first edition Brehemoth's plus ordered with 100% TC fitting, one was tested over 150 psi I paid $459.99, your on your own with shopping around. Ask for legs to be welded like the first edition.
"Keep it under $650", I bet Dale and Josh can make that happen with money left over this including throwing in the internal cooling coil option plus their free shipping of over 22 gallon capacity.
A triangle frame like a piano moving cart offset supports bolted at the ferms legs allowing the ferms legs only 1/2" clearance off the ground still able to fit in a fridge if required. I made a quick 2 x 4 cart for testing, ferms legs were 7" above the ground plus filled to the brim and it wheeled around with ease, the lowered version out of channel steel will be more stable and lower. Wanting a lower capacity ferm costing more, look somewhere else it's you money.

well i have been researching conicals half of today i think :drunk:

im leaning to the brewhemoth now... im going to contact them see about some custom alterations and see what happens. most of what i would like changed is pretty simple so i assume they can do it easy enough. If they say yes I will be the newest brewhemoth customer... the price just can't be beat. i like the stout tanks conicals as well but they have that wierd top that just turns me off. i like the idea of a TC top on the brewhemoth. just wish it was 6-8" instead of 4" but oh well what can ya do? :mug:

Spoke with Josh today from Brewhemoth and answered all of my questions about using a brewhemoth and worked with me to have the dump valve be a custom version of a 45 degree instead of the straight down one. He is ordering the 45 triclover fitting to custom weld it on and just charging me the difference in price from that part vs the one they normally use.

Ordered the brewhemoth with chiller today and it should be here by the end of July :mug:

can't wait to get my first batches into it. im not sure I will be able to get all the gear assembled in time to use the chiller so I might see how making a 15 gallon batch of EdWorts Apfelwein goes for its first run and carb that for some summer parties :drunk:

I just sent them an e-mail as well asking about how easy it is to clean these, seems like a 4 inch hole in the top would make it rather difficult. Has anyone tried to clean one of these?

Well I won't see mine until end of July... But I'm not too worried by the 4" top. While I would prefer 6"+ on top... 4" is basically the same as a corny so it seems like it shouldn't be that bad.

Yeah I'm going to build a CIP system as well. I'm planning on building it so it's a circulating tri-clover attachable system. It might run me a few dollars but I live in a condo so compact and low water usage is key.

Here is my CIP solution (parts were all obtained from stpats, mcmaster carr, and amazon PM me for details):

I'm using a 1/3HP pump for this job and it seems to be working well thus far.

http://www.thebestpint.com/D/ferm001.JPG
http://www.thebestpint.com/D/cleanit.MOV

And a fermentation bonus movie:
http://www.thebestpint.com/D/fermentday11.MOV

Cheers!

:rockin::rockin: thats exactly what i was thinking of. it might cost a bit more but i can use the pump to move both the cleaning solution and also the chiller solution for using the chiller in the brewhemoth as well.

also my CC was charged for the brewhemoth today :ban: i wonder if that means it is shipped? :D

Back