Good News! It's a Suppository (beer evaluation)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinGutesBier

Reaction score
Well, not so much a suppository as a pretty good beer. Sorry if I enticed some of you to enter this thread, hoping for some suppository stories. Anyway, some you may recall this thread of mine:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=59736

After allowing the beer 9 days to carbonate from krausening, I'd say it's about 5 days away from being fully complete and satisfactory. While testing this green beer every two or three days, I had a concern about some diacetyl. Why, you ask? Well, it was a steam beer using Superior Lager yeast, which is best between 47 and 52 degrees. I followed the traditional directions for making steam beer, which led me to ferment at about 62 or 64 degrees on average. I'm happy to say the diacetyl has faded away and I think that's because of the krausening.

That said, it's not bad. The rye flavor is coming through and you get a great maltiness at the end of the taste. My only complaint was that the Galena hops had overpowered any nuances of the Cascade hops, just as I had feared. Still, for an experiment, it turned out like a nice session/lawnmower beer. Now, if anyone is up for an experiment - and a cheap one at that - this is the way to go. I'd only recommend avoiding the Galena and using Northern Brewer or Nugget or something. I can provide my notes to any interested parties who are willing to brew a steam beer the traditional way with non-traditional ingredients. Prost, baby. :mug:

Im sorry, Im hung up on suppository. You didnt fall on a bottle?
Edit.. I think you meant Symposium?

Virtuous said:
Im sorry, Im hung up on suppository. You didnt fall on a bottle?
Edit.. I think you meant Symposium?
Hahah, no, not yet...though I can only imagine what that would be like. I was going to edit the title but then my computer froze up. It's a conspiracy I tell you! Here we go, fixing up the title...

As far as suppositories go, well, I got a little too excited and thought about a Futurama quote, heh.

Ok, ok. No suppositories, just good news and good beer. I'd like to help anyone who might be interested in making an authentic styled steam beer with a spin on the ingredients.

Back