Blueberry wheat... gorgeous coloring!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
I'm so impressed by the color that the blueberries gave the beer..

racking day

2012-04-26_17-55-40_20.jpg

first sample after force carbing

2012-04-27_22-22-04_936.jpg

and another a few days later

2012-04-28_19-23-54_665.jpg

feels so weird to drink a pinkish beer that tastes great, with an extraordinarily white head

That looks a lot like the blueberry hefeweizen that I made recently. I just wanted a hint so I used just right at a pound per gallon. It came out really well, but i think that next time i will use the 2 pounds that many suggested. I would have lked for it to have been more pronounced while still not being ovepowering. How much per pound did you end up using?

i think i used right around a pound a gallon, should have used 2-3 though, i can tell there is something else there, but not much in the way of blueberry

I plan to brew one of these when blueberries come out, did i read that right, a pound of berries per gallon of beer? Seems like a lot!

Seemed like it when i did lol but the fruit flavor just isnt there

Wow... looks great. Do you have a recipe that you could post? Wouldn't mind trying something like this.

sure thing!

it's basically sam calegonies recipe for blood orange wheat, changed to all grain and blue berries instead of the blood oranges.... next time i'd prolly shoot for 2-3lbs of blueberries per gallon, and use an american strain of yeast.

5.09 lb Pale Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 61.46 %
3.19 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 38.54 %
0.50 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 10.1 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [4.30 %] (20 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.50 %] (10 min) Hops 2.0 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG

i did that recipe and ended up with a 1.060, so be cautious of your eff lol

sure thing!

it's basically sam calegonies recipe for blood orange wheat, changed to all grain and blue berries instead of the blood oranges.... next time i'd prolly shoot for 2-3lbs of blueberries per gallon, and use an american strain of yeast.

5.09 lb Pale Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 61.46 %
3.19 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 38.54 %
0.50 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 10.1 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [4.30 %] (20 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.50 %] (10 min) Hops 2.0 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG

i did that recipe and ended up with a 1.060, so be cautious of your eff lol

i would STRONGLY urge you not to use 2-3 pounds per gallon.

i did a blueberry stout over the winter, its in bottles now and barely drinkable. makes great pancakes, tho, so its not a waste!

I used 10lbs of forzen blueberries, let them thaw, smushed them around a litte (not in a juicer or anything, just pressed on the bag a little), and added them to secondary.

the beer tastes nothing like beer and is more like a blueberry,stouty wine. awful.

What about adding some blueberry extract at bottling in addition to the fruit?

Latest posts

Back