does this method of "temperature raising" sond crazy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bferullo

Reaction score
This was my first really high OG beer. It came in at 1.084. I haven't taken a reading since brew day, but I know that the fermentation isn't really going anywhere. its been over a week and I still have probably 1/2 inch or more of krausen. The airlock ( I know it isn't' indicative of active fermentation) is bubbling maybe one bubble every 5-6 minutes.

I have carefully agitated the fermentor. Its temperature right now is at about 66 degrees. I used Wyeast Northwest Ale yeast.

I was thinking of getting one of the thermacare heat wraps you use for muscle aches and wrapping it around the outside of the fermentor to try to raise the temp up a bit.

any thoughts? I use one of the better bottles, but I do not forsee the thermacare wrap being hot enough t melt the plastic considering you use them directly on skin.

The temperature for that strain of yeast is correct. Where are you fermenting it at? If possible put it in a warm room in your house for a day and see what happens. I had that happen with my Black IPA with Pacman yeast. Put it in the fermentation chamber and no fermentation activity took place.. Took it out for the night woke up in the am and it was going crazy and put it back in and fermentation was steady for about 4 days. Hopefully that helps.

No comments on whether or not you should raise the temp or not, but heating pads are very commonly used to raise fermentation temperatures. You'll need a proper thermostatic controller of course.

Back