Left Hand 400 lb Monkey recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-Bizzle

Reaction score
I recently discovered this beer and I love it.
Its definitely an IPA, a very different IPA than I am used to.
I was pretty hesitant to try it considering I've never preferred English style IPAs to American but I decided to give it a try anyway.

Anyway I'd like to try my hand at brewing something like this and would like a good place to start.

Left Hand gives a good amount of clues:
400+Pound+Monkey+Banner.jpg

Anyone have a solid English IPA recipe to maybe build off of?
Also I've never heard of Boadicea or Sovereign hops, anyone know where I could find these? I didn't see them on my standard online homebrew stores.

Thanks guys, any guidance or help would be great!:rockin:

Maybe:
80% Pale
10% Munich
5% C-90
5% Wheat Malt

Bitter with the Magnum to ~50 IBUs, add a ounce of Boadicea or Sovereign near the end of the boil. You can dry hop as well, but the bottle I had really wasn't that hoppy.

Not sure where you can find Boadicea or Sovereign (unless you want to order from England: http://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/Catalog/detailV2_8.asp?itemid=NEW20245160&catid=BRU2105161), but you could always sub for other English varieties like EKG, Fuggle, Target, etc...

Maybe:
80% Pale
10% Munich
5% C-90
5% Wheat Malt

Bitter with the Magnum to ~50 IBUs, add a ounce of Boadicea or Sovereign near the end of the boil. You can dry hop as well, but the bottle I had really wasn't that hoppy.

Not sure where you can find Boadicea or Sovereign (unless you want to order from England: http://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/Catalog/detailV2_8.asp?itemid=NEW20245160&catid=BRU2105161), but you could always sub for other English varieties like EKG, Fuggle, Target, etc...

Good call on fuggles or something of that nature. I may even throw in some simcoe as I think the beer would do well with some simcoe.
May kick the ibu closer to 70 or so as well, thanks for your help!

Hi guys,

I had the honor of brewing a batch of 400lb with LH this summer and can tell you a couple things about the beer.
(Its also my fav ipa to date as it is a balance between hops and malt that I have never tasted in any other beer.)

Munich and wheat are about 5% each of the grain bill. Choose your fav lighter crystal.

The bittering hop is a big early addition and the first of 5 additions during the boil. (90 min)

Boadicea and sovereign are very distinct hops that cant really be substituted. Boadicea is really what stands out in this beer when fresh and the sovereign come out later in life and on the tounge. While I just recently found boadicea hops online, sovereign is easier to come by and a great hop on its own.

They wouldt tell me the ibu of the beer but its pretty high.

I hope this helps and inspires you to try it again. I am planning a batch for Oct.
I will post the recipe when I finalize it in a new thread.

Cheers

Great beer anyone have the final recipe?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Back