So I'm going to brew an IPA tomorrow.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gplutt

Reaction score
I bought 1056 AND a package of Nottingham. I intend to make Biermuncher's https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/dr...dgeport-ipa-clone-w-first-wort-hopping-51572/

I realize Nottingham is an "English" ale yeast and that to really make an American IPA true to style I'd just use the 1056. But I did some searching and Nottingham's profile seems right to make an AIPA, anyways(Many believe Chico came from Nottingham via Ballantine). Attenuative with a clean flavor profile. Plus its highly flocculant!...man I'm sick of clearing 1056.

I ferment at 60-65 degrees(I'd do this one at 60 to make it as clean as possible), and I plan on using a secondary on this, so I'll do my "two weeks in the primary, secondary till I get around to kegging" system..and I cold crash and use isinglass to fine, if needed.

So I'm about 90 percent in favor of using Nottingham. Anybody have any reason not to(don't worry, the 1056 WILL be used..later).

Notties will work great for an IPA. Plus since you haven't made a starter it's a no brainer.:mug:

Nottingham is my preferred yeast for about 95% of everything I brew. Nothing wrong with using it for an IPA, and like wildwest said, no starter necessary.

I didn't want to say it..but I was not particularly feeling like making a starter..that was about 1 percent of my 90 percent...well, okay. Maybe about 5 percent.

I'd have had to postponed brewday if I did the starter.

Latest posts

Back