Differences in DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baja_Brewer

Reaction score
I'm looking to do a bulk buy of DME (merry christmas to me) and Ive been pricing things out by the pound from Austin Homebrew, Northern Brewer, etc.

Im looking for something basic that I can use in many brews, along with some specialty grains, so Im curious as to which would be better Briess Golden Light DME, or Briess Light Dried Malt Extract??

There is a price difference (the Golden comes out to cheaper per pound), and I brew ales and stouts, Im hoping to do more Belgians soon... will there be a big difference between them??

Thanks!

Im looking for something basic that I can use in many brews, along with some specialty grains, so Im curious as to which would be better Briess Golden Light DME, or Briess Light Dried Malt Extract??

I wasn't aware Briess had a "light" extract other than Gold and Pilsen Light.

The differences between the two are rather minimal, IMO. Gold is mostly US 2-row Pale malt with a little bit of CaraPils; Pilsen Light is - you guessed it, kids - Pils malt with a little bit of CaraPils.

I'd go with the Gold, meself.

Bob

It's been a long time (about 16 years) since I used extract for anything other than starters, but I do recall that different extracts could produce very different results. The situation may be different now, but I would try a small quantity of an extract to make sure that it is suitable for your brewing methods before making a bulk purchase.

-a.

Back