possible risk of contamination?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenleaf

Reaction score
So when I went to check on a beer that has been in secondary for about three weeks i noticed that the level of liquid in the airlock was slightly below the line that would prevent air from entering (3 piece). I assume it has been like this for a few days. I am going to keg it today, but any ideas on what my risks for contamination are?

Its possible (but I doubt it) that you could have an infection....but I would just go with it and see how it tastes once it is carbinated. Throwing away beer is always a sick idea.

There is zero risk of anything getting in there if there is water in the airlock. Heck, there is almost zero risk if the airlock is dry unless a fruit fly decides to crawl all the way into your beer.

Put it this way the Museum of Paris has Pasteur's original Swan Neck Flask (what airlocks are based on) and it still to this day hasn't gotten infected yet.

Latest posts

Back