High starting gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmart0104

Reaction score
My starting gravity is 1.090 and should be 1.045.
making a autumn spice ale.
1/2 lb caramunich ll malt
1/2 lb munich malt
1/4 lb cara aroma malt
3 lb amber malt extract
3 lb light malt extract
1oz libberty
1oz mt hood

Don't know why it's so high.

If this is post boil, have you added water to account for boil off to get back to the correct total volume?

How much volume did you start with?

How much are you supposed to have for total finished volume?

Started with 2 gallons then added water to add up to 5 gallons. I shook the fermenter so it should be mixed in well.

Something is wrong with the reading or the mixing.

Did you take the reading of the 2 gallons or of the 5 gallons?

If you have 5 gallons at 1.090 but are supposed to be 1.045, that'd require about 5 more gallons of water and if you're making a 5gal batch we know that can't be right.

Your hydrometer reading is wrong. Wort might not have been fully mixed (no matter how much you shook/stirred it) or the hydrometer itself may be way off. 6 pounds of extract in 5 gallons will give you about 1.048 or so. You would need 10-12 pounds of extract to get to 1.090. A known quantity of malt extract dissolved in a known volume of water will yield a known gravity.

took reading in the full 5 gallon. So something is way off then on my part?

As already mentioned, you have a known quantity of extract (i.e. gravity points) in a known quantity of water, so the reading you got was inaccurate. Most likely due to the mixing of the wort and water. You can test your hydrometer's accuracy by calibrating it if you feel the hydrometer may be off. This might help to explain the gravity points: http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter3-4.html.

It's been 48 hours now and the temp is at at 63 degrees. It's throwing a bubbles and looks really nice. (i know the bubbles don't mean anything and that it can still be ferementing and i wouldn't even notice).

Well it's been ten days now and it's still showing signs of fermenting. In the fiest couple days it was ferementing around 68 degrees and now It's been holding around 63 to 64 degrees which worked out great.

Back