Using cocoa nibs. Slight sour harsh flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csmurdock

Reaction score
So I just bottled a chocolate milk stout and tasted some and it has a slight sour (astringent maybe?) taste. It sat on the cocoa nibs for two and a half weeks in secondary and now has this flavor. I'm wondering if anyone has used cocoa nibs before and knows if this will age out or not?

So I just bottled a chocolate milk stout and tasted some and it has a slight sour (astringent maybe?) taste. It sat on the cocoa nibs for two and a half weeks in secondary and now has this flavor. I'm wondering if anyone has used cocoa nibs before and knows if this will age out or not?

sour like "green apple" ?? or sour like vinegar?? it could be just young green beer, but if you didn't sanitize the cocoa nibs well enough you could have an infection (the sour vinegar taste)

I did make the rookie mistake of not sanitizing the cocoa nibs. The taste didn't come out till a week ago. Not a strong flavor but kinda like vinegar.

Back