Brewing an old extract kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howlinowl

Reaction score
Was going through my garage the other day, and found a beer kit that I long ago forgot all about.

http://store.homebrewheaven.com/shared/StoreFront/product_detail.asp?CS=hombre&RowID=331&All=

It a Diamondknot IPA from Homebrew Heaven.

Dunno how old it is. I can tell you that the expiration date on the packet of Nottingham dry yeast is 2004. The grains and DME are all sealed up tight, no moisture has gotten to them. Hops are sealed up.

Thinkin' bout boilin' this puppy up and see what happens. Maybe even try to make a starter with the old yeast and see if it takes. If not, I'll just buy some yeast next time I order supplies or dump it on a yeastcake next AG batch I make.

What'll ya'll think? Will this stuff kill me? Even if the starter takes, would you still get fresh yeast? Or should I just toss the box?

Allan

toss it, go buy some new ingredients.

no need to waste time with old ingredients. if the dry yeast expired 3 years ago, who knows how old the ingredients actually are...

In a hot garage - even if kept dry, the grains are shot.

If the DME is still powdery, you may want to keep to make wort for starters.

Heck if I were you I'd go ahead and try and make it. If it taste bad you don't have to drink it you know - it probably won't kill you or make you blind, and what the hell you already spent the money on the kit ? Nothing to lose by making it.

If it doesn't make beer, you're not any worse off than if it was still hidden in your garage or thrown away.

Seriously what have you got to lose ? A few minutes in the kitchen and nothing more. If you don't get your expectations up you won't be disappointed, and you might even be pleasently surprised.

After three years, the hops and grains are toast. You would have a stale, pale no-hop ale. Sort of like an English ESB.

Latest posts

Back