Buckwheat honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBrewingMedic

Reaction score
Has anybody stumbled across a good source for buckwheat honey?

Dutch Gold has it at a fair price and Midwest supply sells it raw and unprocessed but the are out of stock. unfortunately I haven't come across any locally other than 8oz jars in a supermarket that are ridiculously expensive.

I really want to use buckwheat in the dry stout braggot I'm working on.

If I wanted a bulk volume I'd just go to Dutch Gold. As it is, I just use a little bit now and then, so I just get a couple-pound jar from a farmer's market.

I'm about to make my first mead and from what I've read buckwheat honey is a pretty strong flavored honey. If I were to use 3lbs of buckwheat in a 15lb batch would it be too overpowering?

Be careful with Buckwheat Honey. The post-fermentation aftertaste can be really powerful...and not in good way. The absolutely nastiest beer I have ever brewed was a "Buckwheat Honey Stout". Beautiful appearance, good mouth feel, hops aroma and flavor...just lovely...followed by a powerful after taste that would gag a maggot!

I would cut your three pounds of buckwheat honey to just one pound or maybe a pound and a half.

Back