Swamp cooler and sulfur smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubbster85

Reaction score
I brewed a honey weizen extract kit on Sunday and pitched the yeast about 5pm. Fermentation started in about 24 hours and it started to get warmer here so I figured I needed to put some water in the tub I have my fermenter in ( I did this just in case it started to warm up here in the NW ) I got the water at about 60F right now, room temp was about 72 and I know temps can be higher in the fermenter. My first question, is there any adverse effects in cooling the temp of the fermenter during fermentation? My second is I noticed a sulfur smell in the closet I'm fermenting in. I know some yeast strains give off a sulfur smell. I am using Wyeast American Wheat 1010. Is this normal?Any replies would be greatly appreciated!

You're good on both accounts... I try to hold my fermentation temps constant with a swamp cooler by adding frozen water bottles periodically but can't always get to it. Sometimes my temps creep into the low 70's when I'm trying to maintain mid 60's... comes out fine. Sulfur odors are not uncommon and will fade away as your batch progresses... Reeee-laxxxx..!

BrewChem said:
You're good on both accounts... I try to hold my fermentation temps constant with a swamp cooler by adding frozen water bottles periodically but can't always get to it. Sometimes my temps creep into the low 70's when I'm trying to maintain mid 60's... comes out fine. Sulfur odors are not uncommon and will fade away as your batch progresses... Reeee-laxxxx..!

+1 on all accounts and the sulfur smell is normal, no worries!

Back