Philly area Homebrewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone hitting up any events for beer week? I'm going to the beer fest at the shipyard today and then will be competing in the Clone Brew War competition at City Tap House tomorrow

I actually had something come up last minute so I had to give my ticket away. Were you there?

Clone wars was small but fun. My beer ended up winning the 'better than the original' category.

Anybody know where I'd be able to rent/borrow a jockey box? My buddy is having an oktoberfest party on oct 17th and I'm bringing 2 kegs.

I should have mentioned that i checked there. They are having there huge Made on American Street event the following day, so they aren't loaning any out

I recently had people over and put two kegs in a Coleman 70 quart cooler. Filled the cooler with ice and water. Since the kegs pull from the bottom the beer was at about 50 degrees (helps if people are drinking quickly). Everyone was happy with the temperature of the beer.

SWMBO asked what I wanted to do on my bday, and naturally I said a trip to Tired Hands. For those that have been there, what kind of chaos can I expect on a weekend. Haven't decided on the brew cafe or the fermentaria yet. Which is better? Growler fills still TH logo only?

Brew Cafe is in a small building. I've not been to the fermentaria but it'd be hard to be much smaller than the cafe. I went on a holiday weekend and it wasn't any more busy than a normal brew pub, and definitely not as crazy as Victory.

Food at the brew pub was top notch as well; not a huge menu but good enough selection.

Gowlers are still TH only, however they will swap growlers if you bring your own. I.e. bring an iron hill growler to be filled, they take it and give you a TH back.

Anyone going to the Lagunitas party Friday night?

Flyer_Philly_160415_01_Website.jpg

I have only been to the Fermentaria once, on a weeknight. It's a big space. It is quite loud, but good fun with great beer and food. I think I should mention the beer again, I really enjoy the style of this brewery. Have a blast!:mug:

SWMBO asked what I wanted to do on my bday, and naturally I said a trip to Tired Hands. For those that have been there, what kind of chaos can I expect on a weekend. Haven't decided on the brew cafe or the fermentaria yet. Which is better? Growler fills still TH logo only?

Anyone going to the Lagunitas party Friday night?

Flyer_Philly_160415_01_Website.jpg

In case anybody is interested, I have VIP tickets for this event. I am "Doug M" as referenced in the banner. Anybody can go to this for free, but the VIP tickets get you in early and guarantee a spot. Otherwise, once the venue fills up, they close the doors. Also, I think there are some give aways for VIPs.

If you are interested in going, PM me. I have a few tickets left.

In case anybody is interested, I have VIP tickets for this event. I am "Doug M" as referenced in the banner. Anybody can go to this for free, but the VIP tickets get you in early and guarantee a spot. Otherwise, once the venue fills up, they close the doors. Also, I think there are some give aways for VIPs.

If you are interested in going, PM me. I have a few tickets left.

did I mention, the beer is free!

did I mention, the beer is free!

I registered for one of the tickets but won't make it :( I want to go so bad! Dan Deacon is a nut job and fun to see live. Not to mention Lagunitas has one of the coolest corporate cultures of any brewery I've ever visited.

Getting very frustrated with my water supply. It's super chlorinated and I run it trough a filter, but I cant stop getting that medicinal taste. Just brewed an IPA with almost a # of hops and tasted the hydro sample and it was awful. Don't want to keep wasting all these hops on off-flavored beers. Where's the best spot to get larger quantities of RO water?

Getting very frustrated with my water supply. It's super chlorinated and I run it trough a filter, but I cant stop getting that medicinal taste. Just brewed an IPA with almost a # of hops and tasted the hydro sample and it was awful. Don't want to keep wasting all these hops on off-flavored beers. Where's the best spot to get larger quantities of RO water?

Just use campden! You don't even need to filter if you use campden (aka potassium metabisulfite). A water filter isn't going to work anyway, the contact time you need to get rid of chloramine is prohibitive to making it practical. a campden tab will knock it all out in a minute.

Just use campden! You don't even need to filter if you use campden (aka potassium metabisulfite). A water filter isn't going to work anyway, the contact time you need to get rid of chloramine is prohibitive to making it practical. a campden tab will knock it all out in a minute.

Ya I had looked into that a while back, but just ended up picking up a filter instead. Don't remember why. So from what i've read, about a half tablet while heating strike water?

That didn't make much of a difference for me, so there was probably something else going on as well. I get RO water from whole foods for cheap and it's by the gallon (fill your own jugs) and it made a world of difference for my brewing

Half tab is good. Will treat ten gallons. Just crush it up and stir it in or dissolve it in a glass of water first. Brun water site has a great write up on this.

So I started kegging the batch and ended up just dumping it. Such a harsh medicine/pool water taste. But I just tried a blue moon clone I brewed a week later and it tastes fine. I think theres something else going on. What else can give those off flavors? The fermenting bucket is getting tossed. It's my original, can't recall if that's the same fermenter used with the last bad batch. That's where im starting.

It's definitely the water, I tasted it coming out the filter and it's exactly water the beer tasted like. Not messing around with filters/campden anymore. Went to wally world and got RO water and saw they have a fill station for .37/ gallon so thats my new water source

lol, i just popped by here for the first time in, well, a long time. I haven't brewed a beer from start to finish in probably 3 yrs now (have 10 gal of some red ale sitting in primary since this time last year).

Trying to scrape together a recipe and get one knocked out in the grainfather next week.

Just built a 25 gallon electric pot. Time to finally retire my keggles. Got 8 years out of them. Silver soldered in the fittings, and etched volume markers.

Back