Moving to All Grain!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcmillb1

Reaction score
I've made three partial mash batches of beer so far this year, and I want to move to all grain.

I've VERY analytical when it comes to multiple options, but I think I've decided on building my own cooler system for the mash, but was unsure about the hot liquor tank. Half of me wants to build everything I need right away, while the other half wants to just build out the mash tun and "cheat" on the hot liquor tank and just use an additional kettle for the sparging water and improvising that process (perhaps with a simple colander to distribute the water for my first batch?).

I'm also getting TONS of information from John Palmer's "How to Brew" - there's so much "little" detail to many things, but, I kind of just want to jump in and give it a shot, make notes, and see how it goes. The overall process doesn't seem overly difficult, however, the devil is in the details, right?

Anyway, any advice for a all grain noob?

stop thinking about it and start doin' it!! If you've done a PM... all grain is really pretty similar imho.

i finalized my setup few weeks ago, got 10gal of beer in one batch last weekend, worked like a charm, building it took me a while but actual hands on time was several hours, finding cheap stuff on CL took much longer.
Brewing all grain is more fun and give you enormous flexibility, i did extract for years, real brewing is AG, now i see it that extract vs AG is like microwave meal vs real cooking with quality ingredients and spices

Half of me wants to build everything I need right away, while the other half wants to just build out the mash tun and "cheat" on the hot liquor tank and just use an additional kettle for the sparging water and improvising that process (perhaps with a simple colander to distribute the water for my first batch?).

You're overthinking it. Batch sparge -- it's way faster, anyway. You don't need a dedicated HLT as long as you have something to put the sweet wort in while using your kettle to heat water. I used my bottling bucket in this photo:
2746611183_4b2759f8fd.jpg

You're overthinking it. Batch sparge -- it's way faster, anyway. You don't need a dedicated HLT as long as you have something to put the sweet wort in while using your kettle to heat water. I used my bottling bucket in this photo:
2746611183_4b2759f8fd.jpg

+1

It's not "cheating" it's just another perfectly acceptable way of doing things.

My ghetto brew-rig, featuring the 15 dollar harbor freight folding workbench and milk crate.

Been doing it this way for 5 years.

303060_10150300016239067_620469066_7917250_382044247_n.jpg

I just mash out into a bucket to get my pre-boil volume, then transfer it to my kettle after I've collected all my runnings.

+1 for batch sparging and not using a HLT. Don't get me wrong, I love equipment but what I love even more is simplicity. I hate cleaning as it is and don't want more more thing to clean. I have a second smaller pot to hit the sparge water in and it is great because I can make sure it is at just the right temp when I am ready. I heat it up to about 5 degrees below my target, turn the heat way down to hold it there and then kick it up again right before I need it to hit my temp right on.

One thing I would recommend is getting the 10 gallon cooler. It is great to do large gravity brews or smaller 10 gallon batches in the future if you want. Oh, and preheat your tun to prevent cracking. I usually start with a pot of 130 degree water and then add another of 160 degree in a few minutes. I may be overdoing it but I don't want to shock the tun and crack it.

Once you go all grain you never go back.

LOVE this board already! Just do it, baby! :mug:

I'm totally ready to take the plunge, thanks for the "push" out of the nest!

The only other quick thing I wonder is all the "extra" stuff I'm seeing about pH calculations, efficiency calculations, etc...

I know a ton of that stuff isn't necessary right out of the gate, just curious about what I should really really do, though, on the first go around, and then continue to improve in the future...

I've made three partial mash batches of beer so far this year, and I want to move to all grain.

I've VERY analytical when it comes to multiple options, but I think I've decided on building my own cooler system for the mash, but was unsure about the hot liquor tank. Half of me wants to build everything I need right away, while the other half wants to just build out the mash tun and "cheat" on the hot liquor tank and just use an additional kettle for the sparging water and improvising that process (perhaps with a simple colander to distribute the water for my first batch?).

I'm also getting TONS of information from John Palmer's "How to Brew" - there's so much "little" detail to many things, but, I kind of just want to jump in and give it a shot, make notes, and see how it goes. The overall process doesn't seem overly difficult, however, the devil is in the details, right?

Advice? First, if you're really reading Palmer's book and understanding what you need to do, then you're already way ahead of the game. Get into it. Just do it. When I went to AG, the first thing I thought was "man, this is easy, and tons more fun". It takes longer. But nothing worthwhile is quick.

Second, note in your head or your notepad what mistakes you think you're making. Being too anal about PH levels? Note it in your head and compare it to the final product in a couple months. Pay attention to what water additions you might want to make in the future.

Third -- on that subject -- get a water report from your city. If you're in a metro area with city-treated water, then they're subject to a FOIA request, which you should be able to make online. Trust me, you're not the first brewer who wants to know how much MG is in the water.

But most importantly -- JUST DO IT. AG brewing is SOOOOO much more rewarding than extract brewing. It gives you the freedom to really make your own beer.

+1

It's not "cheating" it's just another perfectly acceptable way of doing things.

I just mash out into a bucket to get my pre-boil volume, then transfer it to my kettle after I've collected all my runnings.

+1.

:mug:

...I've VERY analytical when it comes to multiple options, but I think I've decided on building my own...

You were built for this hobby. Build your brewery step by step. Plan it out and do not purchase anything twice. You will have many hours of planning, and building if you are so inclined to make it yourself.

Myself? Like you I am a planner. I have an extra CO2 tank and a friend is giving me a mini fridge. When I piece together that two tap tower I will have a complete brewery from building starters to serving from bottles or kegs.

Of course, there are parts to that brewery that need to be upgraded mind you. :) Shhhhh, don't tell SWMBO

Thanks for all the help, everyone, I really appreciate it! :mug:

I purchased the hardware & cooler for my Mash Tun today!

The only remaining to-do's are getting a new Brew Kettle (looking at stainless steel - some prices online are obscene, though!) and possibly a Wort Chiller.

Though, I'm thinking for my first batch that I'll use my sink as an ice water bath - we've used it before for chilling our partial mash brews - if that's horrible, I'll just make note of it and re-adjust the plan next time...

Now, which beer to chose for a first attempt....I'm feeling something like a Porter, however, with Christmas soon approaching, perhaps a Christmas Ale of some sort? Hmmmmm.... :)

The only remaining to-do's are getting a new Brew Kettle (looking at stainless steel - some prices online are obscene, though!) and possibly a Wort Chiller.

After a TON of research I went with the Penrose kettle by Brewhemoth. Approx 16 gal with a stainless ball valve shipped to my door for $190. I use a bazooka screen inside that bad boy.

Also purchased a stainless 50' IC off of Amazon, shipped for about 85.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XWBRBM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Good luck! :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
I would definitely get a wort chiller. I prefer copper. it has a better heat transfer rate and cools quicker. If you haven't already, invest in some kind of fermentation chamber and temperature control device. All the equipment in the world won't help you make better beer if you can't keep your fermentation temps where you want them. Good luck!

Lots of good advice here.

You don't need much to make good brew that is for sure. But me being the guy I am I know that I will keep adding on equip and improving process as I go. I am getting ready to build my brew stand and just recently bought my last of three pots (have been living off a HLT/BK dual purpose pot for a while now). I built an electric set up as well. Do I need all that stuff? Nope.

So start where you can and go from there. You won't look back. The sooner you get to AG the better I say.

I'm down the stretch for AG too. Decided I just wanted all stainless touching my hot liquids, so I bought two 9-gallon Bayou Classics and will mash out of one with a weldless stainless ball valve and this false bottom:

9%20gallon%20pot%20with%20bottom.jpg

9%20gallon%20false%20bottom.jpg

Made my own copper IC with a 20' coil from Home Depot.
For now I'll grind at the LHBS.

The equipment stuff can be as much fun as the brewing, IMO. :)

Whelp, it took me a few months longer than anticipated, but, I bottled my first brew over the past weekend! :rockin:

I only labeled a few, but here's what I came up with...

:mug:

IMAG0851.jpg

How long did it take to cut out all those labels? Nice job, BTW.

I make wine and I hate cutting out the labels. My beer goes in a keg so no labels needed.

How long did it take to cut out all those labels? Nice job, BTW.

I make wine and I hate cutting out the labels. My beer goes in a keg so no labels needed.

Thanks! They only took about five minutes, which is why a) they are a little sloppy and b) I only did six of them.... :cross:

I just did my first partial mash this past weekend. Below is a list of the additional equipment I needed to go from extract and steeping grains to PM

//--- list follows

//------end of list

Latest posts

Back