Protein Solubility

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batfishdog37

Reaction score
I work part-time at a brewery in Wisconsin. Rush River Brewing Co. In talking with one of the two brewer/owners about chill haze, he mentioned that it will go away with time at cold temps. My understanding of chill haze is that is is caused by proteins that come out of suspension because of poor solubility at colder temps. If this understanding is true, what changes the solubility over time of these proteins and causes them to not create haze?

TIA

i thought thay precipitated out or fell to the bottom and that made the haze go away

FWIW I made a Blonde Ale with Nottingham yeast that for some reason will not clear up, even in the fridge for weeks. I can't think of anything in my process that would cause that. I fully expected it to clear in the fridge, but it hasn't happened.

Chill haze is actually specific types of proteins combined with polyphenols (tannins) that come out of solution at lower temps. As Clayton said, they can eventually precipitate out at cold temps, but that can take a long time. If chill haze is an issue for any commercial brewer, most will filter it and/or use a chill haze fining (e.g., Polyclar).

Back