Fruit in Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottM

Reaction score
I'm just killing some time at work today, and I was thinking about racking my strawberry melomel off the strawberries next week sometime. That's when I got to thinking about how I'm going to get those strawberries out of the glass carboy when I'm done. Obviously they had to go into the carboy through the neck, but I'm wondering what kind of chore I've set myself up for here.

Any suggestions from someone who has done this before?

PS the recipe and procedure was:
10 gal Clover honey
water to 3 gallons
Premier Cuvee yeast
stepped nutrient additions
4 weeks in primary at around 70 degrees, fermented out completely dry
racked into glass carboy on 5lbs stemmed and cut strawberries for 4 weeks

* The color is amazing already, I can't wait to see it clear *

Depends on how much they've broken down. But it's likely to be easier than you think. Unless they are huge strawberries, they will probably slide right out.

In most of my peach recipes, most of the peach slices slid right out. But some of them would clog up in the neck and I'd have to use my fingers to pull them out. Then I'd give it a little shake or swirl and more would slide out.

Its messy work. But fun.

I have only put raspberries in my carboy, but they slid right, 1 shake to get the last few out.

I think a few shakes will get them all out for you pretty easily.

I figured I was overthinking it. They were all stemmed and halved before they went in and the one's bigger than the neck were crushed as they were forced through.

Thanks for the input.

The strawberries will be mush and slide right out. I was in your position 3 weeks ago. Man they came out super easily. I just threw some water in there and they poured right out into my sink.

:)

If you ever have problems getting fruit out of carboys add a scoop of OxyClean and a quart of water or so to cover. Give it some time and it will break it down to a goo that will rinse right out.

The fruit should be pretty mushy. Just swril it around in the bottom after you've racked & it should mostly fall apart. Anything that doesn't come out when you dump it, use a garden hose & spray nozzle on it. I doubt you'll have any problems. Regards, GF.

Latest posts

Back