trout recipes - let's hear them!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been slaying the trout from the local pond lately, and am running out of recipes....

here's my basic go to's, but would love to hear some more:

- direct on the grill with salt, pepper, and a little olive oil - peel off the skin and enjoy

- wrapped in foil with butter, onion, lemon pepper, garlic, salt, pepper

Gimme some more!

Marinate in a ziploc bag with italian salad dressing overnight, then grill. If you want to get fancy with it, you can chop up a clove of garlic and toss that in the bag too. Easy, simple, tasty. :D

Works great with tuna filets too.

i like a good trout almondine.
have thinly sliced almonds on hand, lemon, butter, and italian dressing. start ur fryin pan up with about a quarter stick of butter and squeeze half a lemon. lightly brown the almonds and put to the side. in the same pan, generously coat the pan with italian dressing so it will come about half way up the fish. put the flame on it and let the dressing start to lightly brown a little and make sure it's at a good frying temp. throw ur trout in. just before the trout it done (2 minutes tops on each side), drizzle the almond, lemon butter sauce over the fish. that italian dressing is so good when used on fish. an old coonass told me about that and he wasn't lying. i'm not so sure if marinating fish overnight is a good idea. kinda takes away the flavor of the fish. IMO

I mostly release any trout I catch, but once in a while I will keep a few rainbow trout for Trout au Bleu, which is both very tasty and impressive.

To make it, take your gutted trout and GENTLY rinse them in water, but do not damage the skin. Prepare 2 cups of vegetable stock (carrot, onion, celery, bay leaf, white wine, water, pepper, parsley, thyme) and reduce until halved. Tie a string from the fishes mouth to its tail (to make the fish curve and stand upright) and place it in a large pot/pan. Add about 2 inches of stock to the pan, but do not completely cover the fish. Cover the pan and gently simmer for 15 min or until the fish is cooked. Remove the fish from the stock and set upright. Then pour 1/4 cup of BOILING white wine vinegar over the top of the fish. This will turn the fish a deep blue color. Remove the string, and serve whole with some of the stock.

It can be a somewhat difficult dish to make, but it is delicious and makes for a very special dinner experience, or is great if you want to impress someone. :)

Stuffed trout is really good. Just make a standard seafood stuffing (like a stuffed clam type thing), replace the fish cute with stuffing and bake. Now that is good.

I mostly release any trout I catch, but once in a while I will keep a few rainbow trout for Trout au Bleu, which is both very tasty and impressive.

To make it, take your gutted trout and GENTLY rinse them in water, but do not damage the skin. Prepare 2 cups of vegetable stock (carrot, onion, celery, bay leaf, white wine, water, pepper, parsley, thyme) and reduce until halved. Tie a string from the fishes mouth to its tail (to make the fish curve and stand upright) and place it in a large pot/pan. Add about 2 inches of stock to the pan, but do not completely cover the fish. Cover the pan and gently simmer for 15 min or until the fish is cooked. Remove the fish from the stock and set upright. Then pour 1/4 cup of BOILING white wine vinegar over the top of the fish. This will turn the fish a deep blue color. Remove the string, and serve whole with some of the stock.

It can be a somewhat difficult dish to make, but it is delicious and makes for a very special dinner experience, or is great if you want to impress someone. :)

wow - that sounds interesting - I may have to try it!

keep 'em coming!

I've been slaying the trout from the local pond lately, and am running out of recipes....

- direct on the grill with salt, pepper, and a little olive oil - peel off the skin and enjoy

Gimme some more!

what types of trout? and the blue trout recipe works best if the trout is livig just before he hits the pot.

i like straight to the grill with onions, garlic and a thin lemon slice stuffed in the cavity.

i've gotta wait till the 25th to do my trout fishing here(mostly browns this far south in michigan) but there are a few streams that still have brookies farther north.

Gimme some more!

Try marinading in a 50/50 soy sauce/lemon juice blend & grilling it over mesquite wood. Also, you should try it "Planked." You can find those thin cedar planks in a lot of grocery stores these days, just follow the directions, which are basically soaking the plank in water, add the trout & put it on the grill. I like to use leftover trout (a rare commodity) to make a kind of tunafish salad (troutfish salad?) make a sandwich with it. Hey, here's an idea: Use trout instead of salmon to make gravlax, I may have to try that one myself! Regards, GF.

Smoke Trout.
Flake meat off bones into a bowl.
Mix with bread crumbs and egg.
Make into patties.
Fry in frying pan with butter.
Place on bun and eat until you're stuffed.
Mmmm Mmmmm.

I smoke all my trout and flake the meat off the bones and freeze in ziploc bags. Take it along on camping trips and fry patties up on an open fire.

Loop

Smoke Trout.
Flake meat off bones into a bowl.
Mix with bread crumbs and egg.
Make into patties.
Fry in frying pan with butter.
Place on bun and eat until you're stuffed.
Mmmm Mmmmm.

I smoke all my trout and flake the meat off the bones and freeze in ziploc bags. Take it along on camping trips and fry patties up on an open fire.

Loop

Mixed with some cream cheese and hot sauce it makes an amazing dip too.

My personal favorite is to smoke it, then make a smoked trout and asparagus quiche.....otherwise just plain smoked trout works. Not really a fan of it otherwise....for some reason pretty much all freshwater fish I've tried, aside from Yellow Perch, has a background taste that I can only describe as "dirt".

Broiled or grilled with

-lemon juice, herbs d' provence, a little balsamic, garlic, pepper, onion

-covered with a butter walnut/pecan sauce

-lightly seasoned and then with a hollandaise, remoulade, bernaise.

My recipe is tough...

Flour

Egg

Flour

Pan

Repeat until you run out of trout

That's pretty much my go to recipe.
Did do a trout in stout experiment once while camping.
Poached it in a shallow pan using a bottle of guiness.

here is a good seafood recipe....

brodetto (fish stew) Ancona style

brodetto, a fish stew with a tomato base, is a specialty of the Marche region of Italy. there are several recipes for brodetto, even within the Marche. this recipe belongs to the provence of Ancona. in this recipe, we are using fish available to the southern united states.

2 1/2 to 3 pounds of mixed fish - swordfish, orange roughy, squid, red snapper, shrimp, clams, mussels, lobster. clean the clams and mussels well and put them into the stew whole. when i make brodetto for a large group, i cook the whole lobster in the stew. then i remove the meat from the tail, chop it and put it in the stew. i put the whole remaining lobster shell on top for presentation.

1 onion, chopped
1 can (28 oz.) tomatoes, pureed or peeled and mashed
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 carrot, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
2 bay leaves
1 cup chopped parsley
red pepper flakes to taste
1/2 cup white vinegar or 1 cup white wine
olive oil
salt and pepper
about 3 cups fish stock
6 slices firm bread (one per person)

cut fish into large pieces. heat olive oil in large saucepan, dutch oven, or preferable, a clay pot. add onion, garlic, carrot, celery, bay leaves, parsley and red pepper flakes. cook about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

add tomatoes and cook about 15 minutes. then add fish, beginning with the fish that takes the longest to cook. add pepper and salt. add vinegar (or wine). when wine has evaporated, add fish stock. the amount of fish stock is determined by the amount of liquid in the pot. th brodetto should be very soupy. cover and cook 15 minutes.

toast the bread and place a slice at the bottom of each person's bowl. ladle brodetto over bread and serve immediately.

some versions of brodetto use saffron instead of red pepper flakes and white wine instead of vinegar. also, you can substitute rice for bread.

fish stock

1 or 2 pounds of throw-away parts of fish
1 onion
2 carrots
3 ribs celery
3 quarts water

put all ingredients in a large pot and boil gently for 2 hours. strain. you may freeze extra stock.

Skin then dip in egg wash then in flour and fry in olive or vegetable oil until crispy. Serve with sliced lemon, salt & pepper

fresh trout.
stuffed with marionberries and a sprig of mint.

wrapped in foil.
placed in fire for 10 minutes.

unwrap.
eat.

:mug:

Back