Made a Goof. Dump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armstpe

Reaction score
Just brewed my first batch today. When reading the kit instructions (for the umpteenth time) I missed one fact. It says to get as much of the cold break as possible into the primary fermenter. When I poured from my boil pot into the primary I poured thru a strainer for aeriation and just dumped what was in the strainer in the trash. Should I ust pour this down the drain and order another kit?

Irish Red Ale from Northern Brewers

Thank You
Paul

interesting... i thought most people tried to keep all the break out of the fermenter... it's all good man, don't even think about dumping it!

You have just made my day. I am getting a little long in the tooth (what few I have left) and brewing outside in this hot Florida weather just about put me under.

A second Question. I am using a dedicated refrigerator for fermenting. Do's 65 degree F sound right?

Thank You
Paul

Isn't the cold break too small to get caught in the strainer for the most part? I would think that most of it made it into the carboy.

Also reading the NB instructions for the red ale:
"8. Fill primary fermenter. Fill the sanitized primary fermenter with 3 gallons of cold, chlorine-free water first. Pour the cooled wort into the primary fermenter second. Leave behind as much cold break (the thick sludge in the bottom of the kettle after cooling) as possible. Add cold water to the fermenter as necessary to reach a volume of 5 gallons. "

Unless the printed instructions were different (shouldn't be because the printed sheet is generic, and the special instructions are on the box IME), you actually want to keep the cold break out of the fermenter. Either way, it shouldn't really matter.

You are absolutely right. My after action reading of the instructions was wrong. I guess the Florida sun must have fried what few brains I have.

Thank You
Paul

You have just made my day. I am getting a little long in the tooth (what few I have left) and brewing outside in this hot Florida weather just about put me under.

A second Question. I am using a dedicated refrigerator for fermenting. Do's 65 degree F sound right?

Thank You
Paul
I'd go a bit lower, like 60-62 if the 65 you speak of is the temp in the fridge. There will be some heat produced by the yeast during fermentation. Accoring to NB's website, that kit comes with Wyeast 1272 yeast, which likes a range of 60-72. The lower it is, the cleaner-tasting your beer will be. :)

Back