cooling wort outside

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xbabyboy4021x

Reaction score
im getting ready to boil my 3rd batch of beer, its a Brewers Best Weizenbier kit that i got from the LHBS that im going to add cherry flavoring to to make a cherry wheat beer, and i was wondering, since its like 12 degrees outside and i dont have a wort chiller or much ice on hand, would it probably be best to just set the hot wort outside to cool down? and if i do could i leave the lid set a little bit to the side so it will cool faster, or will this let contams into my wort?

Leaving it outside will cool it down, tho very slowly, and its not really worth doing.

Instead, you would be much better off to fill your sink/bathtub up with cold water and ice and let your covered pot cool in the water. Water is much better at transferring heat than air/snow. However, if you still want to cool the wort outside, find a big tub, fill it with cold water, then put your covered pot in the cold water and move the whole thing outside or into a snowbank. Works great.

Back