leffe blonde clone - need recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrDuckbutter

Reaction score
Can anyone shoot me a Leffe Blonde Clone (PLEASE...) I even bought a book of european clones because Amazon siad it contained a leffe clone recipe...which it did not....dirty amazon....

here it is in case you have no idea what i am speaking of...

yes i could just buy leffe, but they do not distribute it in the greater Raleigh area..trust me, i called all the distributors in the area...

LEFFE

THANKS!!!

my brother in law (marine) even brought me back a leffe glass (as in the pic) and it has yet to grace a leffe worthy brew....what a shame...

if not for me, do it for the marines...who have to go to belgium and are not allowed to drink!!!

Try Here

Seems people have had good luck with it.

You should be able to use any Abby or Belgium Blond Ale as a base.

Tim

PS: If you like the Blond you should try the Triple...Good thing the store down the street has it for 4 euro a 6'er.

allegedly it is in the "beer captured" but i bought that book and it is not in there..i will post it when i find one...

i found 2 off google, but they were completely different...
will stay in touch on this issue..
thanks

heat 1 gal. water to 155 degrees F add:
4 oz. Belgian Biscuit malt
4 oz. Belgian Aromatic malt
4 oz. German Munich malt
2 oz. Honey malt

heat and steep at 150 degrees F for 30 minutes. Strain the grain water into the brew pot. Sparge the grains with 1/2 gal. of 150 deg F water. Bring to boil, remove from heat and add:
7.25 lbs. Muntons Extra Light Malt extract
8 oz. Belgian clear Candi sugar
2 oz. Malto Dextrin
3/4 oz Pride of Ringwood @ 9.3% AA (7 HBU (bittering hop)

add water until total volume in brew pot is 2.5 gals. Boil 45 mins. then add:
1/2 oz. Styrian Goldings (flavor hop)
1 tsp. Irish moss

boil 15 mins. remove. chill. strain into fermenter, add water to 5 1/8 gallons(19.5 liters) when wort is lebow 70 degs F pithc yeast

1st choice: Wyeast 1762 Belgian Abbey II - ferment a 68-72 degrees
2nd choice: Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes - ferm 68-72 degs

ferment for 7 days in primary, rack to secondary for 3 weeks, until all fermentation is complete.
1/2 cup corn sugar and 1/3 cup belgianclear candi sugar in 2 cups water, boil for 10 mins. let prime at 70 degrees F for 5 weeks until carbonated

MINI-MASH:
mash 2.5 lbs. Belgian 2-row Pilsner malt and the specialty grains at 150 degrees for 90 mins. then follow extract recipe ommitting 2 lbs. of Muntons Exra Light Dry Malt at begginning of the boil.

ALL-GRAIN METHOD:
mash 11.75 lbs. Belgian 2-row Pilsner malt with the specialty grains at 152 degs F for 90 mins. Add 4.7 HBU (33% less than extract recipe) of bittering hops for 90 minutes of the boil. Add belgian sugar, irish moss and flavor hops as indicated above.

DrDuckbutter - Is this AG recipe true and tested?

I just feel so let down, I have enjoyed this brew on vacation far too much, I have had to take a picture of a Leffe Blonde, (1) a Waterloo (2), both with their glasses/mugs with a dinner I had on vacation. That was some great beer that just made the food even better. Only let-down is they did not have a duval in stock. (No one did).
I can not buy it here, and I would love an AG recipe that is tried and true.
Calling out all the master brewers here, please? PLEASE?
How may I beg, borrow, steal this secret?

it was from the book "beer captured"....i have not yet tried it...just found it yesterday...but from the looks, it seems like a winner...I put the full information to this recipe in the "recipe section" under "belgian and french ales"....

Duckbutter, did you ever try this? How bout raising this from the dead almost 2 years past ;)

I made this beer:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/patersbier-extract-kit-1.html
And it came pretty close to Leffe. Easy to make, too. They have extract and all-grain versions on the site, and they post the recipes, too. Some things I did:
I used WLP530 Abbey Ale instead of thy Wyeast.
I kegged, and did a month-long cold crash to clarify and blend.

This kit got more raves than any other I've brewed, and was consistently compared to Leffe.

Good luck!

I tried the AG recipe and it didn't come close to my recollection of Leffe Blonde, one of my favorite beers. The spiciness was just not there. However, I could not get any Pride of Ringwood hops; substituted Cluster. I actually tried it 2 times, once each with both yeasts listed. First time I use the Ardennes yeast and force carbonated after a primary fermentation. Simply did not have any of the spiciness I was looking for. Second time after taste test after primary, I decided to dry hop with Styrian for a couple weeks. That did not help much either. Not sure having Pride of Ringwood would do the trick or not. I think the grain bill is probably OK, (a smidge darker than Leffe in bottle), but not sure about this combination of yeast and hops. Going to try the recipe further down in this thread next.

Even better than Leffe is Affligem blonde -- IMO. However, Leffe is a good beer (even though it is an AB product!!)

I know that Leffe is made with corn as an adjuct. You may need to experiment with adding corn to the recipe, because it will produce a drier taste that may accentuate the hops without making it hoppy.

Leffe's spice seems to be clovey, which is probably a product of the specific yeast they use and fermenting at a lower temp vs. higher temps that usually make Belgians fruity. You may want to find a Belgian blonde that is bottle conditioned (like Affligem) and try fermenting with that instead of the abbey yeast you have.

Back