Co2 Danger?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bopper

Reaction score
I live in an apartment and my roommate isn't too keen about a kegerator in the living room so I will be forced to put it in my bedroom. I got to thinking...I am not too sure how comfortable I am with having 5lbs of pressurized CO2 in there. What if that thing were to blow?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

That is a good question. I had my full 10 pound bottle drain due to a leak in the system. My son has a room in the basement next to where the bottle is and it didn't hurt him at all. We also have corn snakes down there and it didn't hurt them either. I know CO2 is heavier than air so it should stay down by the floor. One of the corn snake's cage is on the floor. Maybe at the rate it leaked it had time to disperse. It completely drained over night. It scared me pretty good so now I leave the bottle closed and open it only when dispensing.

Get a new roomate, sleep in the living room, or buy a cage to protect the regulator. Also get one of those little chain doohickies they have in restaraunts that prevents the tank from falling over...

The circumstances under which a CO2 cylinder will 'blow' are pretty severe. Severe enough that you'll have a host of other problems long before you see the tank rupture.

However there are 2 very real 'threats': System leak and valve compromise.

Systemleak is prelatively simple to prevent. Use a spray bottle of soapy water to find out if any of your joints or junctions leak. If you are really concerned, make this a regular maintence task. Eveyr month or every time you clean the fridge or eveyr time you empty a keg--- whatever best suits your needs. Or do as suggested: turn off the tank at the main value between uses. Otherwise, jsut make sure you've got no leaks and then don't worry about it unless you change yoru system.

Valve compromise is the other danger. Basically the weakest point on a CO2 tank is the valve. This is made more dangerous when you attach your regulator. If the tank falls over or the valve (or anything attacked to the valve) is struck hard enough, the valve could be compromised. This woudl result in a massive rush of air as the compressed CO2 escapes. This rush can cause the tank to be propelled like a jet, of sorts. Therein lies the danger. This is easily prevented by buying a gage cage and by securing the tank to another structure using a tank strap (pretty cheap at a welding store or farm supply place). Keeping the tank inside the fridge further protects this.

Of these 2 risks, the first is more likely than the second. It wodul take a pretty hard blow or a really freak accident for you to strike that valve hard enough to compromise it.

Thanks a lot for the advice everyone.

I am planning on keeping the CO2 in the fridge. In the event of the valve breaking (which I don't really see happening as it will be inside the fridge and the tank isn't over filled - as long as I'm careful when changing kegs etc.)

If that ever did happen and it was inside the fridge, I would think the fridge would probably contain it.

Bopper359 said:
If that ever did happen and it was inside the fridge, I would think the fridge would probably contain it.

Not a chance. It will go through the fridge wall, you, the brick wall behind you and anything else in the way. Secure the cylinder so that it can't fall is the best prevention.

I think he was talking about the fridge trapping CO2 if there was a leak. That I don't know.

kornkob said:
I think he was talking about the fridge trapping CO2 if there was a leak. That I don't know.

You might be right. I took his comment to mean what would happen if the valve snapped off. :mug:

Latest posts

Back