Decision Time.. Need advice on mash phase of my new brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brewing system consistently yields 70-75% efficiency. Sparging with water temperatures that are higher than 168F shouldn't present any problems with tannin extraction either, that reasoning seems to becoming more and more of a homebrewing myth lately.

Right, the more I read, the importance is more on the PH of the water than the +170 degrees temperature, where tannin extraction is concerned. Sparging with lower temperature water shouldn't propose any issues.

Sorry to keep hijacking the thread, but for anyone following along, just confirming doug's comments, and what I did to address it. After taking some more reading on this "american lager" I have in the fridge, the gravity was relatively unchanged. There was still kind of a haze to the beer that I would assume would be a "starch haze" after reading a little bit about it - it just didn't look like a "normal" fermented beer. It didn't taste bad, but didn't look right.

I dosed the carboy with a teaspoon of Amylase Enzyme, and I have some light fermentation activity since this morning, and the beer looks different, and more "normal" and a slight "milkiness" is gone. I'll give it another week or two,or until the activity ends, and then will continue my cold crash.

Thanks doug293cz!

Glad you found my post useful. Hope the amylase works out well for you.

Brew on :mug:

Been thinking about this water stuff quite a bit...

I have a 'basics' question.. Is the water profile only important for the mash?

IOW, if doing a brew, using DME or LME, is the water profile still important?

The answer to this may answer some questions I've had about my beers for years...

Back