Left Hand Milk Stout Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scutiger

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP002
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
~30
Color
Black
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Tasting Notes
Tastes like Left Hand Milk Stout, reminds me of chocolate milk.
Grain Bill:
8.5 lbs 2 row pale malt
1 lb chocolate
1 lb crystal 80L
8 oz munich
8 oz flaked barley
8 oz flaked oats
8 oz roasted barley

note: extra 2 row should be added or subtracted based on the efficiency of your system up to about 1 lb, adding extra mash water accordingly. My efficiency was right at 70%

Adjuncts:
12 oz Lactose (milk sugar) @0 min

Hops:
0.5 oz Magnum @60 min
0.5 oz Willamette @20 min

Mash at 155F with 15.75 quarts of water for 60 min.

Sparge with enough 170F water to reach desired boil volume (7 gallons for me)

Boil wort, chill, pitch, all that good stuff. Ferment for about 14 days.

Kegged with 2.0 volumes of CO2.

This is my first clone that I've made that I think really nailed the commercial version. I constructed it in beersmith after following all the information listed on Left Hand's website regarding the ingredients that they use. The only change I made is the fact that I used Willamette hops instead of the US Goldings that Left Hand says they use. Also I like the profile of the English Ale yeast, although I've seen some people claim to use the California Ale yeast with success.

Also, Left Hand offers this version on Nitro, so I imagine if you have a nitro system set up you could just make this recipe and hook it up to that.

One of my favorite Milk Stouts, thank you for the recipe. I'll be making this. At what point do you add the lacto?

Latest posts

Back