History Channel tonight!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeRoux's Broux

Reaction score
hey's guys, tonight at 10 e/9 c the History Channel will have a Modern Marvels episode on Brewing Beer. i think it's a first time air tonight?

enjoy!

Right now the history of american salons/pubs is on. Pretty interesting stuff.

DeRoux's Broux said:
hey's guys, tonight at 10 e/9 c the History Channel will have a Modern Marvels episode on Brewing Beer. i think it's a first time air tonight?

enjoy!

Gonna check it out. Thanks DB.

Did anyone else find irony when they said (at the Budweiser Brewery) This is where it officially gets the name "beer"?

Since when was Budweiser a beer? I thought it was piss water!

I'm setup to record the late night re-run of both shows. Depending on what kind of compression I can get, I'll try to host both of them for a short time.

FrewBrew said:
Did anyone else find irony when they said (at the Budweiser Brewery) This is where it officially gets the name "beer"?

Since when was Budweiser a beer? I thought it was piss water!

Yeah Man, I picked up on that pronto...WTF. It wasn't until the end where they started profiling real beer. ... you know ..us little guys.

Eskram said:
I'm setup to record the late night re-run of both shows. Depending on what kind of compression I can get, I'll try to host both of them for a short time.

That's real Brotherly of ya Eskram.:D

I missed it as well. If you could do that Eskram that would be great.

it was a cool show (minus the major focus on bud at the begining). all-in-all, good job. how about the props for the Maltose Falcons HBC in Cali?

Eskram said:

Check your PM's please sir. :)

Thanks for the numerous offers to mirror the file. The recording went through great!
In native form, it's about 980mb. I'll start the recompression before I go to work. Hopefully, I can cut it down to a decent size - Just a warning, there will be commercials - I won't have the time to edit them out.

I should be able to have the file up by this evening. :)

I think I have sofa sores on my ass today! I was out in the garage working on a manifold for my next coolertun and decided to come in at 8:45 just to get settled in to watch the distilling program only to find out I was missing a program on coffee! I'll have to catch a re-run of that one as homeroasting my coffee was a passion long before homebrewing!

The distilling program was really interesting. After my wife and I got married in Guadalajara we took all of our international guests on a tour of a tequila distillery owned by a friend of the family (Tequila is only ~1hr from Guadalajara) which was amazing. The distillery was incredibly modern with all varieties of H-P analyzers and stuff I couldn't even identify, but all of the actual processing methods were still old school.

I really enjoyed the beer program, as well. Wish they had covered lambics a bit more, but the little blurb about them was still cool.

To round things out I fell asleep on the couch trying to make it through the moonshining cars program!

I thought the distilling show was allright, but didn't like how they didn't really discuss the difference between Bourbon Whiskey, Reg. Whiskey, and Scotch Whiskey. I was especially unhappy about how they implied that Jack Daniel's was amazing b/c it is charcoal filtered and then skimmed over Maker's Mark and forgot to mention that MM spends at least 7 years in the barrel and made it seem like it was the same as Jim friggin Beam.

I also thought it was hilarious that the one Tequila distiller hand places their agave into the conveyor and crappy Sauza uses a bulldozer to dump them in. I knew there was a reason Sauza was so gross - there's probably a messload of dirt and stuff in it.

cowain said:
I also thought it was hilarious that the one Tequila distiller hand places their agave into the conveyor and crappy Sauza uses a bulldozer to dump them in. I knew there was a reason Sauza was so gross - there's probably a messload of dirt and stuff in it.

I think the most important thing for someone in the US to notice in that segment is that the vast majority of tequila sold in the US is blended...only 51% blue agave tequila. The rest is...something else. A lot of people that don't like tequila haven't really had any (100%, anyways).

The segment on propagating the agave was interesting, as well. The finest (IMO) distilleries have a 'mother plant' that they consider the ultimate agave and that they propagate for their entire crop. Others contract agave from various growers and blend them together like a blended wine.

Thanks to FrewBrew for mirroring the files.

Please try to alternate between the two sites so neither of us get our bandwidth completely raped. :p

cowain, they talked about the barrell rotation and how the barrels expand and extract throughout the aging process. did you miss that? i love makers mark. i have my name on a barrel (so they say) because i'm in that club of theirs.
i heard a bit about the difference between Bourbon, Scotch, etc. had to do with the base malt. Bourbon has to be 50% corn (?) and Scotch has to be all malted barley.

i dig 100% agave tequila. Cabo, Patron, Antigua Cruz, Don Julio...mmm....

I like Don Julio quite a bit because it's consistent and fairly easy to acquire, not to mention good. I always try to get a few bottles of Espolon in Mexico as that is the distillery we went to after our wedding and it's very good tequila. Occasionally it's possible to find it stateside.

There's a restaurant I discovered in San Francisco while on an extended business trip in San Mateo called Tommy's Mexican restaurant...absolutely hands down the best, most authentic Mexican food I've had outside of Mexico, and the wife agrees. It's notable because it is the restaurant they featured at the beginning of the tequila segment in the distillation program last night, and I've also seen Michael Chiarello (sp?) do a segment from there on tequila. They have a tremendous tequila selection of only 100% blue agave tequilas.

I saw this tonight. Thanks for whoever put this online. too :drunk: to remember who did that.

Not to bad. Other than the obvious sponserhip by Bud and jim bean... it wasn't to bad a show(s). Of course NO mention of Canadian beer and most suprising, no mention of Canadian RYE whiskey. In fact the only mention of rye whiskey was a short blurb about George Washington.

i know, i was cussin' bud and then i bought one of those Brewmaster's Private Reserves yesterday. but hey, it's a 8.5% ale, huge magnum bottle. i couldn't help myself!

Thank you very much for that (we don't get much English language TV in these parts). It made for a nice relaxing afternoon drinking session.

The difference between the German brewmeister and the Sam Adams (I think?) guy's drinking style was almost comical. THe German is a card carrying quaffer if ever there was one, the American looked like he was really uncomfortable letting the beer even touch his lips.

I also have to say that the commercials on TV really bother me. The drug ads especially. Warning: Stupidazlic is not for everybody. Stupidazlic may cause bleeding gums, scurvy, incontinence, erectile disfunction, brain swelling, profuse sweating, hallucinations, and homocidal tendencies. Consult your doctor before trying Stupidazlic today! :confused:

catfish said:
...THe German is a card carrying quaffer if ever there was one, the American looked like he was really uncomfortable letting the beer even touch his lips...

In Jim Koch's defense, the man definately drinks his beer in quantity. At events and such, the man enjoys his product. Plus, I dont think Ive seen too many German brewers get dunked in gallons and gallons of beer. Jim will have events where he will fill big containers of stale Sam Adams keg beer taken from establishments and have people heave baseballs at a target in an attempt to dunk him in the beer.

A sad side note to this...Red Sox knuckleball pitcher Tim Wakefield needed 3 tries before he could dunk ole Jim.

Latest posts

Back