last thread got closed so take 2 on abbreviations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scottab

Reaction score
Ok so i've been trolling around this board since November and i keep seeing an abbreviation ":mug:" which i have no clue what it means. Can someone please 'splain me? I am asking about the specific abbreviation which i placed in quotes. Please don't put up a link to other abbreviation page listings. I'm not an idiot and do know how to perform a google search. I am asking about a specific abbreviation that others have written the abbreviation is ":mug:" not any other abbreviations. Please don't just randomly close the thread.

mug? cheers? i'm not exactly sure what you mean.

Not everyone has the emoticons turned on. I imagine the very common:mug: would show up as : mug : and be a bit confusing.

:mug: means "cheers." It's a happy thing. Like :) or even :ban: or :rockin: or even :tank:...It just means "cheers" someone is rasiing a glass to you. Something you said made them happy.

It's kinda obvious.

Only if you see the animation. otherwise its just confusing text

Not everyone has the emoticons turned on. I imagine the very common:mug: would show up as : mug : and be a bit confusing.

Good point. But when the OP posted it, those with emoticons saw the emoticons.

mug is not an acronym...If you have those images turned on it looks like to smileys smashing mugs together in a toast. Like this,

Two-People-Making-Toast-Beer-Mugs-171942.jpg

It's worth noting that if you're using the mobile app on a phone the emoticons just show up as ":" codes. I suspect that's the case here.

Apparently, a moderator closed the first thread? And so a new thread was started asking the same question.

I wonder how many internet forums would appreciate that. but I do see why the question was asked again- since an icon thing isn't an abbreviation and that needed to be cleared up.

But since the first thread was closed, and this question has been answered (more than once), this thread will be closed as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back