Tried and true belgian quad? La Trappe or Westy clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
I have been looking for a good belgian quad recipe to try sometime soon and one of my favorites is la trappe (Yes i know it isn't technically from belgium) quad currently although I can't find any recipes that people have commented on that they have tried and found really good or close to something like it.
Anyone make a really good belgian quad and if so do you mind posting your recipe? Again, something I am aiming for it like the la trappe quad.
thanks!

Isn't a quad just a stronger triple. Maybe find a good triple recipe and up the ingredients by X% to get the gravity you want? I got my quad kit from Annapolis brewing but they did not give the ingredients.

No, not really, they are a bit more along the lines of a dubbel but higher alcohol...

Quadrupel:
Some Belgian breweries brew strong, dark beers, as strong as or stronger than a Tripel but with a Dubbel's dark color and rich, full maltiness. These beers are sometimes called Quadrupel or Dark Strong Ale. This category includes the strongest offerings from many of the Trappist breweries, such as Westvleteren 12 and Rochefort 10.

And that's why I'm here....to learn right:) The only thing I can say about my quad was it came out a little too malty and I like malty. FG finished out at 1.029 I would have preferred it to have dropped a few more points to dry it up a bit. I had good experience pitching WLP099 after my initial yeast died out in other big beers so next time I will do the same with the quad.

Back