None-The-Weizen Redux

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadYetiBrew

Reaction score
So after a horrible first PM we went all-grain.... The weizenbock i created tasted really odd and we think we either got Tannins or it got infected. Being the new brewers we are (only started in Jan.) we want to try a lot of different styles. However, I'm stubborn and don't want my only weizenbock to have sucked, so i'm redoing it, this time ALL GRAIN!

Let me know how this looks, i'm trying to go with the grainy flavor of the wheat, with the maltiness of munich and the toasty of vienna, with a slight hint of chocolate malt, and some Maris Otter.

We're doing Single Infusion batch sparging, i'd decoction mash it but i would rather see how it tastes before deciding that.

Weizen-Up

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

17-D Wheat Beer, Weizenbock

Min OG: 1.066 Max OG: 1.080
Min IBU: 15 Max IBU: 30
Min Clr: 7 Max Clr: 25 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 14.54
Anticipated OG: 1.081 Plato: 19.61
Anticipated SRM: 18.0
Anticipated IBU: 12.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
61.9 9.00 lbs. Wheat Malt America 1.038 2
18.9 2.75 lbs. Maris Otter 1.038 3
5.5 0.80 lbs. Munich Malt(2-row) America 1.035 6
5.5 0.80 lbs. Vienna Malt Germany 1.037 3
5.2 0.75 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
3.0 0.44 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.00 oz. Hallertau Northern Brewer Whole 3.20 12.4 60 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.09 Oz Irish Moss Fining 5 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

WYeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen

Ferment for 7 days in prime then bottle... I let the other one go for 1 week primary and 2 weeks secondary, it's still wheat looking but not enough... What do you guys think?

It looks good to me. Although with that much wheat, you might not need the Cara-pils. It won't hurt to add it, but the wheat will give it enough body and a good head all on it's own.

I just did a weizen and I let it sit in primary for two weeks. I never secondary them. They are the only beers that I don't secondary!

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

Rice hulls, OR since you like BIG beers, I added some 6-row, more hulls, plus you are adding gravity... grain for thought HA HA

The Pol said:
Rice hulls, OR since you like BIG beers, I added some 6-row, more hulls, plus you are adding gravity... grain for thought HA HA

I like em big but it might go a bit too far lol... maybe... you have me considering, which means i'll probably add some 6....

How much 6 would you recommend?

Here is my grain bill... 1-2lbs perhaps, depending on your total bill....

3 lb. German Pilsner
6 lb. Wheat malt
1 lb. American 6-row

The Pol said:
Here is my grain bill... 1-2lbs perhaps, depending on your total bill....

3 lb. German Pilsner
6 lb. Wheat malt
1 lb. American 6-row

That looks good, i'm adapting it to mine.... all i have to say is this'll be as strong as the Tripel i was going to make lol.... Nah i'll tone it down some.............

Maybe

Ok, it got BIG... check this version out...

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

17-D Wheat Beer, Weizenbock

Min OG: 1.066 Max OG: 1.080
Min IBU: 15 Max IBU: 30
Min Clr: 7 Max Clr: 25 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Total Grain (Lbs): 16.14
Anticipated OG: 1.090 Plato: 21.57
Anticipated SRM: 18.1
Anticipated IBU: 11.9

Grain/Extract/Sugar

55.8 |9.00 lbs. Wheat Malt | America | 1.038 | 2
12.4 |2.00 lbs. Pilsener | Germany |1.038 | 2
9.3 |1.50 lbs. Maris Otter | 1.038 | 3
6.8 |1.10 lbs. Pale Malt(6-row) | America | 1.035 | 2
5.0 | 0.80 lbs. Munich Malt(2-row) | America | 1.035| 6
5.0 | 0.80 lbs. Vienna Malt | Germany | 1.037 | 3
3.1 | 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt | 1.033 |2
2.7 | 0.44 lbs. Chocolate Malt | America | 1.029 |350

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.00 oz. Hallertau Northern Brewer Whole 3.20 11.9 60 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.09 Oz Irish Moss Fining 5 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

WYeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen

That IS BIG... mine was only like 1.053 OG.... and it is plenty enough for me when I am finished mowing!

The Pol said:
That IS BIG... mine was only like 1.053 OG.... and it is plenty enough for me when I am finished mowing!

LOL, well what can i say... hopefully the alcohol won't hurt the flavor too much

I forgot to update, i used the 1.080 recipe and only got 1.074 :( (i think anyway didn't have a thermometer on hand to take the temp when i took the reading).

I made a damn good starter for this bad boy.

3 tbsp DME
Pint of water
1/2 tsp Yeast Nutrient

then the next day added

6 tbsp DME
2 pints of water
1 tsp yeast Nutrient

to the starter... needless to say the yeast probably loves me, may try and even harvest this bad boy when that beer is done.

I mashed at around 151*F and sparged at around 170*F, i can't trust my thermometer anymore, and went through the normal steps. It went great and smooth. The day was flawless except for an attempted stuck mash draining, i blew back into the tube and cleared it.
I wasn't at home so i didn't pitch the yeast till i got home.
Once home i aerated and pitched. But i wasn't paying attention and the wort was noticeably warm. I touched the weizenbock carboy compared with the filled carboy sitting at around 74*F and i would gauge the weizenbock to be around 80-90*F, bad i know.
However, evidently my yeasties are some bad mother f*ckers because in less than 10 minutes my yeast was fermenting away. It has been fermenting strong since Saturday night and looks beautiful. I was suprised to see them fermenting at such a high temperature but i'm fine with it as long as it's actually fermenting, never know maybe i created a new characteristic for that yeast...

Adding this Recipe along with the Nut Brown and Strawberry Blonde to database

DeadYetiBrew said:
Ok, it got BIG... check this version out...

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Total Grain (Lbs): 16.14
Anticipated OG: 1.090 Plato: 21.57
Anticipated SRM: 18.1
Anticipated IBU: 11.9

Grain/Extract/Sugar

55.8 |9.00 lbs. Wheat Malt | America | 1.038 | 2
12.4 |2.00 lbs. Pilsener | Germany |1.038 | 2
9.3 |1.50 lbs. Maris Otter | 1.038 | 3
6.8 |1.10 lbs. Pale Malt(6-row) | America | 1.035 | 2
5.0 | 0.80 lbs. Munich Malt(2-row) | America | 1.035| 6
5.0 | 0.80 lbs. Vienna Malt | Germany | 1.037 | 3
3.1 | 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt | 1.033 |2
2.7 | 0.44 lbs. Chocolate Malt | America | 1.029 |350

I'd be surprised if you get anywhere near 75% efficiency, if you're only planning a 60-min boil. With that much grain, you'd likely have to run out 8-9 gallons and boil for a couple hours to have any shot at 75%. If you do 6.5 or 7 gal for 60 minutes, I'd guess you'll max out somewhere closer to 60-65%

Bike N Brew said:
I'd be surprised if you get anywhere near 75% efficiency, if you're only planning a 60-min boil. With that much grain, you'd likely have to run out 8-9 gallons and boil for a couple hours to have any shot at 75%. If you do 6.5 or 7 gal for 60 minutes, I'd guess you'll max out somewhere closer to 60-65%

Funny you say that though. It was planned for 1.080 and yet i got 1.074, using promash it tells me i got 73% efficiency... Lucky or just good??? lol...

EDIT: Realized you were talking about the 1.090 recipe... I used the first recipe (the .080) i posted with a lb of rice hulls

You might have a sweetness/bitterness balance problem. You are looking at a Bu:gu of about .15 That is pretty low for the style. If your yeast slacks off even a little bit, this might taste too sweet. Everyone agree?

vasie said:
You might have a sweetness/bitterness balance problem. You are looking at a Bu:gu of about .15 That is pretty low for the style. If your yeast slacks off even a little bit, this might taste too sweet. Everyone agree?

Yeah after looking at it I was originally trying to get 2 points above the minimum IBU's. After I started adding and changing grains I never changed the Hops, that's my fault, i always try to stay in style with IBU levels. I'm not too worried about it, homebrew is always good...

Back