New post a picture of your pint

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20170304_194300_zpsq8du3rtj.jpg

Blueberry Vanilla Porter. Extract with specialty grains base beer. 11lbs of blueberry puree and frozen blueberries added after initial fermentation, 2 vanilla sticks cut, scraped, and placed in vodka before adding.

smoked stout
17103653_10154388550122963_4794166142970122163_n.jpg

I brewed another batch today, but switched to maris otter in lieu of 2 row and upped the briess cherrywood smoked malt from 5% to 40% of the grain bill. rounded out with some black malt

Thoughts on Apollo? I've always been curious to do a Magnum smash.

I am enjoying it. The aroma is mostly pine and resin with a citrus undertone leaning towards grapefruit. The flavor is much the same. I was worried it would turn out catty with Apollo being 18.4% but it isn't at all. It's one of my favorite SMaSHs so far.

I am enjoying it. The aroma is mostly pine and resin with a citrus undertone leaning towards grapefruit. The flavor is much the same. I was worried it would turn out catty with Apollo being 18.4% but it isn't at all. It's one of my favorite SMaSHs so far.

ooofff - no way in hell id ever do an apollo smash. life is too short. glad you're enjoying it at least

My second lager attempt... 3 weeks grain to glass in the pic....Cant see how it will get better with time....Crispness

Pilsner malt/rice/corn..34/70 yeast

20170318_162514_resized.jpg

Hmmmm...looks crispy...would you be so rotten as to post your grain bill...or should I contact Sid Vicious?
Sure:
10# pilsner malt (because they come in 10# bags)
4# 2 row
3#flaked rice
1# flaked corn
I think I went 1 oz saaz and 1 oz hallertau hops both @60 Around 10 IBU total
34/70 yeast
I did the same exact batch before with all rice and think the corn adds a little to the flavor and color..all rice was watery lookin

This is for a 12 gallon batch

You want 80% grain
20% rice/corn
Real simple real good

Sure:

10# pilsner malt (because they come in 10# bags)

4# 2 row

3#flaked rice

1# flaked corn

I think I went 1 oz saaz and 1 oz hallertau hops both @60 Around 10 IBU total

34/70 yeast

I did the same exact batch before with all rice and think the corn adds a little to the flavor and color..all rice was watery lookin

This is for a 12 gallon batch

You want 80% grain

20% rice/corn

Real simple real good

Thx Jonny...will try this one...lots of 34/70 on hand...

LuRA4SC.jpg

First batch of the year and first 10 Gallon attempt

Left was fermented warm at 75F beer temp.
Right was fermented at 65F beer temp.

The first one is a session ipa I brewed in a local brewery as prize for winning a contest, the second one is a hopped saison, single hop "sorachi ace", a dill bomb

IMG_20170421_173607.jpg

IMG_20170421_174620.jpg

IPA with Equinox and Idaho 7. Amazing combo. Also had an interesting yeast blend of London Ale III, Conan, and WL 644. For all three being so non-flocculant, this flocculated quite a bit. No finings either. Looks like a NEIPA when you pour in the dregs, but I think I prefer it decanted off the bottle trub.

IMG_20170424_135113.jpg

Really happy with this Imperial Stout. Easily the least understood style; especially considering its popularity. Probably the main reason I've pooched so many batches. Definitely makes it all the sweeter to finally reeaally nail one!

I was going to add coffee & coconut but the samples were so good I just went with a heavy dose of toasted coconut and DAMN does it taste good. It's like a chocolate-coconut milkshake I can't stop taking trips to the tapper

a5pLt3A.jpg

Here's a photo from the batch with the DanStar Munich yeast and Kazbek hops, taken 22 April 2017.

Edelweiss%20-%2022APR17.jpg

I'd like to point out that this beer was good - very good. It tasted like a true hefeweizen and the characteristics were exactly as described in the book. The Kazbek hops were nice as well, and if history is any indication, I expect them to come out just a bit more over the next few weeks. Having said that, I do slightly prefer this particular the original recipe at this time, but only by a little. The reason is that the original Centennial/Amarillo combination pack a serious :alpine" quality to this beer that can't be explained and must be experienced.

If anyone else gives this a try, let me know what you think of it!

Ron

Back