mini fridge freezer shelf removal for fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanigav7

Reaction score
I'm attempting to convert a mini fridge I managed to snag for free into a fermentation chamber. My problem is the stupid freezer shelf is in the way. I have searched and searched for an easy explaination of how to move it out of the way, but can't figure it out. Any suggestions? Do I bend this thing slowly and carefully? because everytime I move it, it makes creaking/breaking noises and I don't want to bust any part of the cooling mechanism. You can see in the pics how there is a bar on the right attached to the shelf going to the bottom which is what I feel like is going to break....
I'm frustrated.

fridge 001.jpg

fridge 002.jpg

I split 6 inch piece of hose length wise put it over the line then slowly bent the line as close to the top as possible. First slip the evaporator plate under the temp controller. Still trying to load pics sorry not that tech savvy! :D

Slowly and carefully. You need to brace one side as you bend. Don't bend it free hanging. Attach that top right and brace along the right side. Your control is in the way as well though and you won't get it past 15 degree angle I would say so that's going to be another problem. Amd a tube bender spring might help on that line.
I did see a youtube video of some guy doing one...though I don't think his controller was in the way.
Good luck, but hey, if you screw it up you didn't lose anything.

Back