Belgian Dubbel Ommegang Abbey Dubbel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love Dubbels and I love the unique flavour of Special B malt. This beer lets me enjoy both. The recipe was patched together from many sources. Thanks to an interview with the former head brewer at Ommegang the spicing came together more clearly than in previous attempts.

11 lbs lager malt
2 lbs Special B
2 lbs Aromatic
1 lb 30 - 40 Crystal
1 500 ml bottle of dark syrup

1 oz. Hallter for the boil. Added after the first half hour.
.5 Saaz at 5

I zested two mandarin oranges and add at 15
.5 oz licorice root at 15
.4 oz crushed coriander seed add as I turned the heat off.

Mashing schedule was 130 for 15, 148 for 30 and 160 for 15.

Fermented with Wyeast Ardennes yeast at 72F in primary, 60 F in secondary.

This turned out really great. It is a big beer but is quite elegant and well rounded. Nothing really stands out, all flavours blend nicely.

The nose is spicy and malty. It is difficult to distinguish whether the spice in the nose is from the yeast or coriander or a blend.

Tasting it you first get fresh sweet malt and quickly after that the various flavours of licorice, orange, coriander and spicy yeast, all blending together.

It is almost black but shows red around the side of the glass. Nice tight head and looks great in a glass.

I'm curious how this recipe compares to the BYO and which one is closer to the real thing. Here is the Clone recipe from BYO first printed in September 2005.

ommegangabbeybyosept200.jpg

I'm curious how this recipe compares to the BYO and which one is closer to the real thing. Here is the Clone recipe from BYO first printed in September 2005.

ommegangabbeybyosept200.jpg

you posted a clone recipe for their Abbey Ale, not their Dubbel.

My recipe is tasty as hell and makes a fantastic beer, just read the comments from some of those that have brewed it. Is it the same as the original? Only one way to find out :cross:

The grain bill on that recipe is less than 11 1/2 pounds minus the corn sugar. I would have thought you'd need more to brew a dubbel, but I guess 2.66 pounds of corn sugar goes a long way...
The flavor has to be different on this without the dark Belgian candi syrup. It has a richer, more complex taste than the corn sugar does it not? (admittedly I haven't done a side by side blind taste test...)
I would like to brew it though just to see what it's like, thanks for posting it. And thanks again to Gordon for the original recipe post!

I also find the lack of Dark Belgian Syrup to be a bit troublesome as well as the lack of Special B. Note that the Briess Special malt described is not the same as Special B.

Gordon's recipe is probably closer or at least better than the BYO magazine recipe is IMO.

I am a long time lurker and first time poster. Have a couple of brews under my belt.

I was curious exactly what type of syrup is being used here when it calls for "500 ml of Dark Syrup?" I am planning brewing this next weekend (in about a week) and wanted to know so I could get the supplies necessary.

Really looking forward to this one!

No the opposite. This has enough unfermentables that the FG is going to be relatively high anyway. I would mash lower and longer. Say 146 - 152 for 60 minutes. I've also taken to adding the sugar just after high krausen.
Doing this again I plan to slightly reduce the malt and slightly increase the sugar to make it drier, or as the Belgians say "digestible".
I've been playing with spice timings and would add the Coriander at 5 rather than knock out. I've also found that licorice is extremely sweet and any amount of it adds a LOT of sweetness to a beer so I've switched to Star Anise and a smaller amount.
Ferment warm, don't be in a rush to see it finish. My last few beers with these changes have improved tremendously.

How much sugar do you recommend adding after high krausen?

Thanks!

As luck would have it I ended up making a litre of syrup last weekend.

Gonna give your recipe a try this weekend

I brewed this last weekend, BIAB method, scaled to two gallons and had a 1.074 OG. I had slightly more grain (7lbs total) because I did it BIAB. I also had an issue and lost some (a decent amount splashed out, ouch) wort when removing the bag to the colander to drain. So my efficiency ended up being around 67%.

Anyway, all that to say my OG was 1.074

Thanks!

As luck would have it I ended up making a litre of syrup last weekend.

Gonna give your recipe a try this weekend

Great, let us know how it goes, and seeing as we are neighbours, invite me over for a pint when its done!

Just got this batch into the secondary.

SG was 1090.
Gravity into the secondary is at 1020.

Smells fantastic.

I used a brew belt for the primary and oh my did it ferment. Had wanted to rack into the secondary over the weekend but the krausen was still quite thick. Cleared this morning and I could I actually see the beer.

Can wait to try this out!

thanks again GordonT for sharing! :mug:

Just got this batch into the secondary.

SG was 1090.
Gravity into the secondary is at 1020.

Smells fantastic.

I used a brew belt for the primary and oh my did it ferment. Had wanted to rack into the secondary over the weekend but the krausen was still quite thick. Cleared this morning and I could I actually see the beer.

Can wait to try this out!

thanks again GordonT for sharing! :mug:

You're welcome atri, sounds like you have one fantastic beer coming up!

Hi Gordon!

I stumbled across this beer for the first time tonight... this is a new top five beer for me. It will come as no surprise that I now want to brew it.

How many times have you brewed this recipe? How true do you feel it comes to the commercial version?

Thanks so much for sharing!

I recently brewed this (*it is bottling). I let it ferment for a good 5 weeks. I actually made a two gallon batch and split it up into two separate one-gallon fermenters (I am just starting up and costs prohibit a bigger pot for bigger sizes and I just recently bought a five gallon bucket).

My OG was 1.076 and my FG was 1.016.

The taste of it (pre-carb) was awesome. Best I have brewed so far, and it tasted remarkably similar to the real deal. I was quite pleased. Haven't been this excited for my beer to carb yet! I'll let ya know how it tastes when I crack one around Christmas time!

Hi Gordon!

I stumbled across this beer for the first time tonight... this is a new top five beer for me. It will come as no surprise that I now want to brew it.

How many times have you brewed this recipe? How true do you feel it comes to the commercial version?

Thanks so much for sharing!

This is very close to the original which I also love. This recipe is slightly darker and slightly richer, if you can imagine that :)

If you want a more exact match up substitute my Special B for Special Roast and it should be spot on. If you don't have Special Roast available you can use Brown Malt.

I recently brewed this (*it is bottling). I let it ferment for a good 5 weeks. I actually made a two gallon batch and split it up into two separate one-gallon fermenters (I am just starting up and costs prohibit a bigger pot for bigger sizes and I just recently bought a five gallon bucket).

My OG was 1.076 and my FG was 1.016.

The taste of it (pre-carb) was awesome. Best I have brewed so far, and it tasted remarkably similar to the real deal. I was quite pleased. Haven't been this excited for my beer to carb yet! I'll let ya know how it tastes when I crack one around Christmas time!

Awesome Warrior. Hope its even better bottled.

I'm gonna try.. Thanks!

I had made one other fantastic Belgian, and two crummy Belgians. Yeast and fermentation management is key. I tried to let ferm temp free rise to 80, but too cool and needed to use a space heater to achieve.

Can you clarify the spice additions?
I read
.4 oz crushed coriander 5 min
.75 oz licorice root 15 min
.25 oz orange peel 10 or 15 minutes

Which dark syrup? The dark or the D2?

Thanks again!
TD

I'm gonna try.. Thanks!

I had made one other fantastic Belgian, and two crummy Belgians. Yeast and fermentation management is key. I tried to let ferm temp free rise to 80, but too cool and needed to use a space heater to achieve.

Can you clarify the spice additions?
I read
.4 oz crushed coriander 5 min
.75 oz licorice root 15 min
.25 oz orange peel 10 or 15 minutes

Which dark syrup? The dark or the D2?

Thanks again!
TD

Look back through the various posts on this, page 5 to be exact, and you will see a few posts about the syrup added. Good luck.

You spice additions look spot on.

Just got around to brew this bad boy. Did a 3.5 gal and should be at 1.070 after I add the dark sugar in a couple days. I must say the gravity sample tasted awesome. The most balanced and delicious beer at pre-fermentation stage. Can't wait to get this on tap in on my taste buds.

Thanks GordonT

Sheldon

I'm doing a golden strong ale with a combo of Wyeast 1388 and 3787. Could I wash that and use it for this? How different would it be from the Ardennes?

I'm looking for a new Dubbel recipe to try out. I think I'll give this a try and report back. Has anyone tried it out again recently?

The beauty of home brew is you can do anything you like. You only have to make one person happy with your beer :)

I don't really consider this a step mash as my method involves adding small amounts of almost boiling water to my mash tun. I just add smaller amounts to achieve the temps I'm looking for and then wait a bit, add more. I would do this anyway, the difference is pausing briefly between additions.
i do this too. i find this method of step mashing turns out a better beer ( especially my hef) than a single temp 152* for an hour.

Latest posts

Back