Hydrometer readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandw12786

Reaction score
Hey, just wondering how most of you more experienced brewers take hydrometer readings while your brew is in the primary. I've read to never put the hydrometer into the bucket, but the way i see it, is as long as its sanitized, i dont see a problem... I mean, you're putting your Thief or whatever you use into the bucket to take the sample, so is there really a difference?

How often is it okay to open up your primary bucket, and how long can you leave it open?

I've always sampled directly from my primary bucket and from my secondary carboy, and I've never had a problem. (knock on wood) I have a string attached to the top of my hydrometer that allows me to slowly lower it down into the carboy. The string never really touches the beer, but I don't think it matters since I sanitize the entire thing first.

I agree with your logic regarding the Thief or the turkey baster method. If you can sanitize those things, then your same sanitization practices should apply to the hydrometer itself. Also, I don't like the idea of wasting beer for the sake of hydrometer readings.

There's no reason you cant check gravity in your fermenter. I think it would be easier to read in a thief or a test tube. I personally use a thief and a test tube to do my reading. I don't see it being wasteful as you can taste your sample when your finished with a reading.

I would open your fermenter as little as possible and put the lid back on as fast as possible. With that being said, I open mine after a week to ten days to check gravity and then check again the following week to ensure fermentation has stopped (no change in gravity). I know that if my gravity is consistent fermentation is complete and I can bottle. If its changing, it needs more time.

I usually have my equipment ready and sanitized before I open the lid. Crack the lid, get a sample and reseal.

Beer is pretty hardy. Don't stress to much about it.

1. The gunk (krausen and left over floaty crap) can stick to it and alter the reading.
2. In a bucket, how are you going to get to eye level and check your reading. You will be at an angle, and I don't think you'll get a perfect read.

I like tasting, too, so I always like pulling a sample. It just gives me better bearings on where I'm at.

1. The gunk (krausen and left over floaty crap) can stick to it and alter the reading.
2. In a bucket, how are you going to get to eye level and check your reading. You will be at an angle, and I don't think you'll get a perfect read.

I like tasting, too, so I always like pulling a sample. It just gives me better bearings on where I'm at.

+1 on this entire response.

+1,000,000,000 on the last bit. In addition to making it easier to take a reading, pulling a sample allows the brewer to taste said sample during the process giving the brewer much more information than otherwise attainable by a hydro reading alone.

The lazy way is hardly ever the better way. :mug:

I don’t think there is any sanitation advantage of using a thief over directly putting it in the fermenter. But with a thief you can drink your sample and you will get a more accurate reading. Does anyone remember high school or college chemistry labs? Always take your measurements at eye level and never at an angle.

Back